Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am going to look at a used Prindle 16 tomorrow. Does anyone know if I am supposed to get a title from the seller in FL? We just moved so I am not really sure. I asked the seller the year and he told me sometime in the 90s but he is not sure. This sounds a little sketchy since I assume this would be on the title, not to mention that I am pretty sure this Prindle is from the 80s at the latest based on my research. Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck finding a title for these old beach cats. None of the Hobies I ever bought had them. Technically boats 16' and up need to be registered with the state (even with no motor). Luckily for me every Hobie I buy is a 15.99 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think a title is required. I purchased a H16 that was kept in Florida but was registered in Tennessee because that was where the owners main residence was, and the boat did not have a title. I live in Alabama and all that was required to register my boat was a bill of sale and a copy of the Tennessee registration. The boat and trailer did not require a title, in fact, I didn't even have to buy a tag for the trailer. You can check Florida boating laws on line. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A quick update FWIW. I recently purchased an '81 H16. It had never been registered like most 15.9's :D
Florida has a form for Vessel Bill of Sale. It has a spot to explain why the boat was never titled. You need to present the form with signatures, no copies. There is also the Application for Title/Registration. The law was changed in April 2014 to include 16-26 foot, even without a motor. The boat is now titled, registered and insured. One less thing to sort out in the event of a claim or stop on the water. Don't ask my opinion on liars, err lawyers...