Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy Rite Rigging
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all...I've just gotten back into Hobie 16 sailing after a long absence. My buddy and I found a older boat in very good shape for a good price, so we've been having a lot of fun and his son seems to be really taking to it.

I have a question regarding righting systems. This boat came with what appears to be an Easy Right system. The ends are tied to the aft tramp pylons and the line is simply routed around the front pylons. When rigging up the boat, I chose to pull the righting line outboard of the side-stays thinking that I would want to pull the line over the outside of the top hull. I recall rigging up a homemade system on my old boat that sort of worked like that. However, now I see info that indicates that the ends should be attached to the aft ends of the pontoons, either around the rudder fittings or by drilling holes in the pontoon lip. I also see that the manufacturer recommends routing the line inside the side-stays and accessing the line from the inboard side of the top pontoon. Questions are:

1. If accessing the line from the inboard side, what is the point of attaching the ends to the aft end of the pontoons? In this case, it would seem that the lines of action pulling the top pontoon over would be the fore & aft tramp pylons.
2. I've seen other diagrams implying that the aft line of action is the aft end of the pontoon. It seems like this could only be the case if the righting line was routed outside of the side-stays and the line is accessed outboard of the top pontoon. Is there an advantage to that arrangement, perhaps to aid in pointing the mast windward?

We plan to go to a nice shallow beach and practice tipping and righting in one of our next outings, so perhaps some of this will become apparent, but any insights would be appreciated. I did search the forum, but did not find exactly the answers I was looking for.

Thanks all, and it's great to be back!

Post subject: Re: Easy Rite Rigging
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Hawaiian style of righting system and I believe the righting line goes on the outside of the shrouds. Our boats have hulls, not pontoons by the way. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So long as either way the line is long enough for you to hang close enough to the water to actually right the boat, it really doesn't matter (personal preference). When I used a similar system, I ran mine inside the posts for three reasons:

I have a poor trapping method where I step on the deck as I trap out, and I didn't like having the line where it would interfere with my footing,

On the outside the line can grab the lower ring dings on the shroud and pull them out leading to a dismasting (they should be taped), and....most importantly.....

I'm short and, when the boat's on its side after a capsize, I can't reach far enough over outside of the hull to get the line when it's on the outside!

You are smart to practice some controlled capsizes and find what works best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HobieMarty wrote:
I have the Hawaiian style of righting system and I believe the righting line goes on the outside of the shrouds. Our boats have hulls, not pontoons by the way. :D

Ugh...only a noob would say "pontoon" :oops: At least I didn't say "rope"!