Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I upgraded my boat to the Ronstan cars about 10 years ago and have never been happier....

I've got a pair of the older springy travelers that I was never fond of when they were on the boat, but I keep them around for spare parts. Sure, I loose my traveler controls when reclaiming the cleats that are mounted on the bar, but it's better than missing a day on the water.

A club member really wants to buy them off me, for a boat he's putting together......I like having spare parts, so I figured I'd take the profit and buy myself a milkshake and pair of the Trentec low profile cars to keep in the sail box.

My question is, since they'll only be used for emergency fixes to get me on the water until a replacement Ronstan can be ordered, could I just use shock cord to hold them outboard? Would the force of sheeting in be enough to bring them inboard for sailing to wind?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you want good sail control, you need something a little better than fixed length bungies. If you want to just go sailing... well my brothers once helped a blind man sail his hobie 16 back to the beach. The stays on his boat were made of electrical wire....

Moral of the story, if you sail in protected waters, sailing any boat is more fun than staying home. Your bungie solution will definitely get you back on the water, but the sail twist is going to be tricky to control, and you may need to adjust your shock cord length/tension for changing wind speeds.

Enjoy your milkshake,
Joe