Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halyard cable stops
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[img][img][/img][/img]Hey guys,
Just bought my first Hobie Cat 16, a 1981. Set it up in the driveway and pulled up the main sail to make a full set up inspection. The sail stopped about 4 feet from the top. When I brought the sail down to look at it I noticed there where two cable stops a few feet apart from each other. What are they for? Why do they prevent me from raising the sail completely?

Thanks everyone,
Scott

Tried to upload images. No sure what happened there

Post subject: Re: Halyard cable stops
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you look at the top of your mast, you should see a little Y shaped piece of metal on the front. The "stops" on the halyard get pulled up and over and then latch into the Y hook from the bottom, which is what prevents your halyard (and sails) from coming down. The cleat on the bottom of the mast is just to hold the extra line, it isn't meant to actually hold any weight.

My boat is a little newer, and only has 1 stop, I believe the older ones had the extra one for reefing your sails.

They should not prevent you from raising the halyard, but they can be a little tricky to get set all the way in. You can try running the halyard all the way up and down with your mast down just to make sure it isn't sticking somewhere, but it definitely took a fair bit more effort to get that last bit of sail up than I was expecting when I first raised my main. Might help to lube your sail track up a bit as well. I would bet that is what is sticking, not the halyard.

One thing that seems to help, I try stepping away from the mast towards the front of the hulls a little when raising the last few feet so the stop doesn't catch in the hook on the way down, then once I know I have it raised all the way, I step forward and lock the stop in place. Then I yank the sail/boom downward (while holding the halyard, just in case) and make sure it is locked in at the top.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, very good explanation. You should watch Matt Miller's instructional video, it is very helpful. Among other things, he explains how the "swedge" is to be captured by the "two-fingered prong" and that locks the mainsail and keeps it from sliding down. I highly recommend you watch the video. It is on this site as well as on you tube.
Also, with your mast down, wash out the luft track with some dish soap and a rag or brush. My sail was really hard to raise, then I cleaned the track and now it goes up much easier.
The video is in the Hobie 16 FAQ, scroll down to "Rigging Video"

Last edited by HobieMarty on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After '85, Hobie introduced the Comptip mast which reduced the height of the metal part of the mast. This was to prevent the metal mast from contacting overhead electrical wires. The end of the halyard with 2 stops is metal, about 4' long. Reefing the sail would not eliminate the metal path so Hobie eliminated the reefing and that length of cable at the end of the halyard. I received a notice from Hobie that they would change my mast at no cost for my '85. An interesting note on the recall was that the Comptip mast reduced the "cone of protection" from lightning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys,

Great explainations and suggestions. Love this forum!
I think I am snagging the cable stop on somthing. Probably the Y hook. I failed to mention I raised the sail out of the track to confirm it was not the sail sticking in the track... had this issues with a H-18 I had earlier. I'll lube er up with Paraffin wax and watch the mentioned video.

Thanks,
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The stainless steel "sail feeder" which is screwed into the opening in the luff track at the bottom of the mast can also cause difficulty with hoisting the sail. Most people remove it because it creates more problems than it solves. Put the screws back in the holes with a dab of silicone caulk to seal the mast up after removal.

sm