Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Upside down
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

speed633 wrote:
Quote:
Just an idea that popped into my head, how about shooting in some expanding foam insulation into a drilled out rivet hole at the top of the mast. Like I said....just an idea. Any thoughts?

I have a hobie 16 with a mast that is sealed with 'great stuff.' Normally this would not be my first choice, but the mast had a crack through the sail track that ran from the cleats to to the slot. I couldn't get the foam plug seated far enough up the mast. I sprayed some foam in through a small hole, and did some 'rotomolding' to get the foam to stick all around the mast. This was just to make a relatively small (maybe 4") foam plug/barrier to keep water from getting in above the crack.

If I had to seal a more typical leak, I would just use the hobie plugs if the leak was at the tip or base. If it was leaking from the mast tang, I would drill out the rivets and reseat/reseal the tang. I would not recommend the spray foam method for 'normal' repairs.

~Joe

Great Stuff is an open cell foam. It will absorb water. You should use a two part, closed cell foam.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree, you should use a two part closed cell foam...

However when mast repair involves a mini-sledge and a two inch long crack, you may end up lowering your standards for the sealing foam. I had a can of great stuff handy, I did not have any two part foam.

The 'repair' has held up well, and so far I have not found any water in the mast. It has been about 10 years.

~Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CallingPesty35:

I really like your righting pole. What are you using for a hinge where you connect the pole to the dolphin striker area?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyway, getting back to your original question, i just saw an auto-inflatable mast bob online. I think it works the same way as auto inflatable life jackets - it hits the water and it inflates. Here is the link: http://www.marinechandlery.com/secumar-auto-inflation-anti-inversion-mast-float-16253

It looks like exactly what you want!