Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Furler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just purchased my first sailboat, a mid 80's Hobie 16. I live on a narrow canal and decided to convert my boat lift to accommodate a beach cat. The problem I foresee is safely docking the boat, the best idea I can think of is lowering the main sail and furling the jib for the 100yrd paddle back down the canal from the main channel.

Long story short I'm having trouble researching the furling jib conversion. Is it as simple as purchasing and installing a furling kit? I know there will have to be modifications to the original Cat Fever Jib because of flapping without the battens.

So my questions are: #1. Can I alter an existing jib to work with a roller furling kit? #2. What is the process/differences of installing and rigging the furling system.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Jib Furler
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome the the forum and congrats on your new boat!

I have a furling jib and normal jib setup, for the furler, depending on which one you get, you might need different bridle wires, the furler and a furling specific sail, preferably with UV material on the parts of the sail exposed to the sun when rolled up. Most kits will come with everything you need minus the sail.
Mine sail is from here: http://slosailandcanvas.com You should ask them about converting your existing jib, from the differences I see between mine it doesn't look like it would be ideal considering the cost of a furling jib sail made how you want it and cost to work on a sail.

I also think you'll be hard pressed to drop the main while out on the water, especially if there's decent wind. You would need to get to the very front of the hull to release it from the halyard hook at the top. Not saying it can't be done, I've walked out there to adjust a go pro on the water, in very light winds and calm seas but wouldn't commit to having to do it every day I wanted to sail. Is there a beach you can pull up on before turning into your canal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

It's in the 2017 August Hobie parts catalog page 10 lower left.

8001 With Hobie Furler

Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/8001_8004_8007z52.pdf

Note: If modifying a full batten jib for furler use,
the luff wire is shorter than the rolling furler
version and will require replacement luff wire
or a custom pigtail length.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you may be making your problems out to be worse than they actually are.

Try paddling up the canal with the main and jib up, or sailing if the wind is right...

Often times narrow canals are dead zones for the wind, and you will be able to leave the sails up and paddle.

In winds under 10mph I have been pretty successful at dropping the main under sail. Just need to give it the right flick.

Good luck with your new boat.