Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last weekend two of us took a Hobie 16 to Catalina Island, about 28 miles of sailing off the California coast. It was my first time sailing on a saltwater adventure and was lots of fun if not a little uneventful.
I had been watching the weather, waiting for the right conditions to make this trip and last weekend everything lined up. We made reservations at the Goat Harbor boat-in campground which is just a table and fire ring, packed the boat and set out Saturday morning in some light fog.
Conditions were good enough, although the winds turned out to be a little lighter than forecasted and also not in the optimal direction, having to beat (light) upwind for a few hours tacking. We had west ocean swells about 4 feet with southern wind waves 1-2 feet, 70º temps. About an hour of the trip out was perfect with 12-14knt winds allowing for hiking out to stretch my body, unlike the 5-8 we had when leaving. As we approached the island the winds died and we ended up paddling the last 1.5 miles in. The paddling part was OK, occasional dolphins and sea lions kept us company and entertained. My crew's positive attitude certainly made the trip great.

After dragging the boat above the high tide line on the beach we camped for two nights enjoying the peaceful island, set out Monday morning and made it back to Long Beach in 3.5 hours in similar conditions, minus the paddling.
All and all a great trip and learning experience, I thought the H16 did fine even with camping gear, water and wine on board. I could certainly feel the extra weigh though and will be playing with different weight distribution for the similar trips to other California coast and Sea of Cortez islands in Baja in the coming months. Scotch instead of wine should help save some weight. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome! Great pix.

I like the way you stored your gear off tramp.

2008 Hobie 16 (currently sailing the crap out of this boat)
1977 Super Sunfish
Founding member of the "San Dimas Yacht Club"
John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Noticed the tent not pitched on the boat. That's a little surprising as most people who do this stuff will do that.

How did you tie the gear under the tramp to the hulls? Was it giggling around at all while underway? I really like how you did that.

Also, how many days did you camp? Was most of the food you brought canned? etc.

Very interested, would like to do the same with my boat :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Man thats a great story and great pics!!! I've always wanted to do something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow! I really enjoyed the story and pics. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BboySlug wrote:
Noticed the tent not pitched on the boat. That's a little surprising as most people who do this stuff will do that.

How did you tie the gear under the tramp to the hulls? Was it giggling around at all while underway? I really like how you did that.

Also, how many days did you camp? Was most of the food you brought canned? etc.

Very interested, would like to do the same with my boat :)

Thanks for the kinds words guys, glad you like the photos!
I'll try to give more technical details.

First off, my "adventure" background is many years of unsupported solo remote off road motorcycle travel, all of my gear is lightweight, compact and proven. Think ultralight backpacking gear, and to me, packing the H16 presents the same challenges as packing a small high performance single cylinder motorcycle. Except for the marine radio and flares I had the rest of my gear before this trip already.

I used http://rokstraps.com motorcycle straps by adding Flat Hooks http://www.ebay.com/itm/252849068159 to grab the hulls. These straps I have full confidence in having used them for years on my bikes and the hooks latch on to the lip of the hull perfectly allowing my to mount dry bags anywhere. They did not budge when getting pounded by waves. I used a couple of Ortlieb https://ortliebusa.com bags, a Sea to summit bag and a Ortlieb waterproof backpack clipped on the tramp for items I want easy access to like snacks, Satellite phone, well stocked first aid kit, a 3L water bladder with drinking hose, camera, sunscreen, tools, navigation lights, etc.
Also on the tramp was a Orion signal flare kit, USCG approved throw float cushion, an Icemule cooler https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/classic-coolers , marine two way radio, Garmin Montana 610 GPS, Delorme InReach satellite communicator/tracker, compass and under the halyard bag a GoZero 30w solar panel to top up a small USB battery pack which I used to recharge everything for the trip home.
We camped two nights, with food and water for three days. A mixture of freeze dried backpacking food from REI (the salmon pesto was delicious!) and some fresh foods in the cooler. A small Primus Eta Express stove to cook with along with basic MSR camping cutlery.

I didn't consider sleeping on the trampoline, it was hardly level plus I'm setup to camp comfortably on the ground with a Big Agnes tent + sleeping bags and Exped insulated air pads which slide into a sleeve in the sleeping bags, which also zip together making one big bed. Maybe in Baja with warm dry air on the Cortez side I'd sleep on the tramp, but not on the cool, damp California coast.

Geez, when I write it out, it sounds like a lot of stuff, but in reality I probably had about 30 pounds of gear, plus water and wine.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Lost Roadie on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

are those quick pins in your shrouds? or is that a spare pin ?
new to hobies here

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, quick pins that have a little rope to keep them from being lost, I keep them lubed and tested before each sail. The previous owner had installed them.
I also like how they keep the righting line where I can reach it if I capsize. Should probably use standard ones on long voyages but hate the ring a dings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you remove your stays before trailering? I just weave mine through the center tramp lacing and leave them connected to the mast and boat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I coil up my shrouds and forestay and bungee them to a hiking strap when I trailer my boat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being the PO of this boat I am glad to see Lost Roadie continue the tradition of living the Hobie life. Maybe he will inspire some new blood into the community. Open ocean sailing is not to be taken lightly even if it is only going to Santa Catalina Island. LR is a experienced adventure (follow his motorcycle travel blog www.lostroadie.com) and used this experience on the water. Maybe Hobie will give him some sponsorship to promote the sport!!! Fiberglass Hobie sailing is basically dead on the west coast.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably getting it up the beach could be a big problem, depending on the beach. Looks like that monster ways 320lbs according to Hobie specs. You must have fought it going up the beach unless you came in on High tide?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

speed633 wrote:
Do you remove your stays before trailering? I just weave mine through the center tramp lacing and leave them connected to the mast and boat.

I leave everything rigged except the forstay when trailering, just the rudders come off.

bob59 wrote:
Being the PO of this boat I am glad to see Lost Roadie continue the tradition of living the Hobie life. Maybe he will inspire some new blood into the community. Open ocean sailing is not to be taken lightly even if it is only going to Santa Catalina Island. LR is a experienced adventure (follow his motorcycle travel blog http://www.lostroadie.com) and used this experience on the water. Maybe Hobie will give him some sponsorship to promote the sport!!! Fiberglass Hobie sailing is basically dead on the west coast.

Thanks Bob, she's a solid boat thanks to your love. :mrgreen:
It's true, I don't go on adventures without a throughout risk assessment and adequate preparation. Lots of survival mode solo sailing this summer gave me confidence in my boat handling abilities when things get nuts. But I would have scrubbed the trip if conditions were not ideal, I know I'm a n00b on the ocean and wouldn't risk my crew.... now solo might be a different story and my next trip to some island off the coast will be solo. I felt this trip had a good risk to reward analysis when pushing off. It was actually kind of boring, but that was a good thing.

Adventure without risk is Disneyland.

Yeah, it's a real bummer that beach cat sailing is dying, I get such great responses from people when they see the boat... but why on earth would people in this day and age want to actually have to learn something, have some dedication and *gasp* take risks or possibly be uncomfortable.
Much easier to just buy a Waverunner for the lakes, or take a ferry to Catalina and have a bus take you to a beach to camp. :roll:
For me, from having my first sail on a hobie in 30 years this spring to feeling confident enough to take trips like this has been an awesome experience and I look forward to furthering my experience/knowledge with on time on the water at any chance I get.
I'm not really interested in racing, I compete with myself every time I sail, but on this trip I felt having more knowledge of what's the fastest way to a waypoint would be great knowledge to have. ie; taking the shortest distance while beating up wind or tacking more to get the most speed but adding distance. Something to research...

I have a perfectly good boat with an awesome history, no sponsorship needed. haha

CR Yaker wrote:
Probably getting it up the beach could be a big problem, depending on the beach. Looks like that monster ways 320lbs according to Hobie specs. You must have fought it going up the beach unless you came in on High tide?

It was a steep pebble beach.
I came in two hours before high tide, dragged it up where I could unload out of the waves then used the main sheet and blocks with some spare rope around a big rock to drag it far up the beach so I could sleep good at night. Boat seems pretty light to me and using my brain instead of fighting it made it a non-issue. 6:1 mechanical advantage is a wonderful thing, and sliding down the beach into the water was fun. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Man! I'm digging this! I've got a Getaway, and a lot of mountaineering gear (i.e., light weight and compact). The Getaway doesn't have flanges on the hulls (round rotomolded hulls), but I'm sure I can lash the gear up under the wings. Maybe put some in dry bags on the forward tramp.
I live on the Middle Coast (Great Lakes), so I'm going to spend this winter checking the maps for a suitable sail. Maybe to Isle Royale, or out to the Apostle Islands.
Do you have fresh water available on Catalina Island, or did you have to haul it? That's one advantage of freshwater sailing, I can filter the lake water for drinking (I've got a great filter setup).
Thanks for the inspiration!

Edit: PS, does your Primus ETA stove ignitor still work? I got a prototype model when they first were testing them, and my ignitor melted! Still lights with a Bic, though.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did this in the mid 70s with my California beach cousins. Boy were you more prepared than we were. We did bring some water and matches for the campfire on the beach. I can't even remember wearing a pfd, but I am sure that we did. I do remember wearing a wetsuit that was about 2 sizes too big. I was 12 at the time. Can you imagine the trouble parents would be in today for letting their kids do something like that. I don't think we checked on the weather, but I was mostly just a passenger. My first sailing and I was hooked.