Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music on your Hobie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering how you guys accomplish taking your jams on board? I used to have an orange boom box I would wrap around the mast. It floated and had a waterproof compartment for my phone. Sad part is the phone would always overheat in the compartment and eventually the boom box just died and wouldn't play anymore music. It also ATE batteries like crazy, so running it was expensive.

Post subject: Re: Music on your Hobie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a braven like 30 bucks on amazon. Works well for some light tunes but not crazy loud and it waterproof ipx7 and the charge last 8-10 hours.

Nothing fancy but works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Light weight, BlueTooth and 4GB of memory... floats...suction cup to the hull.

Hobie(R) and Speaqua have partnered up to bring a portable, waterproof speaker into the accessories lineup! This floating, tennis ball sized speaker is both convenient and functional with Bluetooth connectivity, call-taking capability and built-in 4 GB memory for holding up to 1,000 songs. It mounts to any smooth surface using an industrial suction cup base, and is perfect for the kayak, SUP or Eclipse. In stock now!

72026103 Barnacle Plus Speaker $65.00 (USA USD / 10-2017)

Hobie Barnacle Plus features:
* Waterproof
* Floats
* Stores up to 1,000 songs / 4 GB internal memory
* Industrial suction cup base
* Sand / Dust proof
* Water pressure proof charging port
* Built-in mic & caller ID

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometimes my rudders will attempt to sing, but they must not know the words because they only hum. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Ha!!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a Phillips speaker, bluetooth, waterproof, floats. Loud enough to hear on the boat, not so loud as to annoy other boaters.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BT2200B- ... th+speaker

The Hobie one looks pretty cool, too. Matt, will it stick to the hull of a Getaway, or will the top texture keep it from adhering?

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Deleted

Last edited by VIP on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The best waterproof outdoor speaker that I currently own is the Fugoo tough. Retail about $100, one charge will get you approximately 32 hrs at almost maximum volume. I liked it so much I purchased the XL which is 4 times bigger and better bass and fuller sound. IMHO, I’ve found the Fugoo Bluetooth speakers work best for me for outdoor. I own both the small tough and XL Version. The XL is good for day trip as it will not last the 35 hrs as advertised. It does have rich and deep bass sound while playing outdoor. It’s also waterproof, dust, dirt, snow...and can handle 5-6 feet drop on hard pavement.

For Kayaking multiple days, I usually take my smaller tough speaker and it will last 30-35 hrs depending on how loud you play the music. Sunny sky will also affect and drain the battery.

I also own the JBL Extreme. That one sound better indoor then outdoor. It’s only splash resistant so do not submerge in water. When I go kayak camping for multiple days, I take the small Fugoo as it last longer. For day paddling, the XL is better. Make sure you place an anti slip mat on your kayak, bungee your speaker down and also, use carabiners to clip the speakers to it in case you capsize.

I love my music and never leave my speaker when I go kayaking. :)
The iPhone will work better with Fugoo as it sounds louder then an Android like Samsung.
Best thing to do is to test/demo at bestbuy and see which ones you like better.

Good luck in your search/decision.
VIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had bad luck with waterproof electronics being waterproof.

For a long time I used a 90's boombox running on rechargeable C-Cell batteries (7.2V RC car batteries from 10 years ago). It had no waterproof rating and it worked well.

On rough days the CD player wouldn't work (laser can't read a wet disc)

On really rough days the FM radio would go out, but it always seemed to come back.
The nice thing about electronics not designed to be waterproof is they drain and dry much faster than ones that are nearly waterproof.

Cost: $5 at a garage sale.

Pro: See cost.
Con: Does not synch with phone, does sink in lake. Also large and a bit heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to carry my cell phone in a clear drybag on a lanyard around my neck and under the pfd, and used the EcoXGear EcoXBT bungied to the tramp for many years until the micro-usb charging port finally gave way after household members knocked it around while charging inside. The speaker phone was great and the music sound quality was acceptable, not great. A friend bought one this summer for I think $55.
https://ecoxgear.com/shop/ecoxbt/

I now have the Honstek K9 which appears to be on sale for $43. Forewarned, some of the reviews appear fake and my unit went dead this week (lasted one summer). But, the company said today they will send me a replacement under their 6 or 18 month warranty (depending on where you read it). I can verify the battery lasts 30+ hours and the sound is MUCH better than anything comparably priced that I have heard. The speakerphone mic is not great, but that is not a big deal to me. It has a caribiner to clip to the lacing, and on rougher days I also twist tie it using one of these things from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-12-in-Rubber-Reusable-Twist-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT12-2PK-01/203210641?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Hardware%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmZDoL5Le866QynlWSHRakj7ifB6UgBW6tAY8WsadX38WnsrC8gVJy8aAh1XEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CICz--Cim9cCFUUyaQodzdkJXQ You can feel the bass vibrate the tramp.

I now have a Lifeproof FRE waterproof case for my new Pixel XL smartphone that I carry in a pocket or strap case. I capsized last month and went completely under (trap line broke), separated 20' from the boat and the music never stopped.
http://www.honstek.com/product/honstek-k9-wireless-portable-speakers-bluetooth-v4-2-waterproof-ipx7-speakers/

I play music and take a rare call (I can only do one thing at a time) via bluetooth to the smartphone. I have not verified these speakers will play anything but reggae and Johnny Cash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must be the odd one out here...

I can't think of anything worse than bloody music while out on the water!

I want peace and quiet. I want to enjoy the serenity and silence.

Now if Hobie could bring out a sonic-homing surface-to-surface missile, I'd be first in-line to buy! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I must be the odd one out here... I can't think of anything worse than bloody music while out on the water!

You're not alone. I love the peace... and the sound of the water. A good sail is a symphony of the wind whipping, hulls slicing the waves, the lines straining, the rudders humming, and the sails popping on tacks. It can be loud and busy in a blow, or calm and muted in light air...

Different strokes for different folks, I've no problem with sailors who want a backbeat to their waves and wind... but I don't need to be able to sing along unless I'm a few boat-lengths away.

Quote:
Now if Hobie could bring out a sonic-homing surface-to-surface missile, I'd be first in-line to buy! :-)

Especially one tuned for the frequencies of PWC. :p

Randii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Now if Hobie could bring out a sonic-homing surface-to-surface missile, I'd be first in-line to buy!

Finally there is a solution:

https://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/UltimatePWCRepellent.html

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like this one a lot! :-)

Tim H16 wrote:
Quote:
Now if Hobie could bring out a sonic-homing surface-to-surface missile, I'd be first in-line to buy!

Finally there is a solution:

https://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/UltimatePWCRepellent.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Light weight, BlueTooth and 4GB of memory... floats...suction cup to the hull.

Hobie(R) and Speaqua have partnered up to bring a portable outdoor speaker into the accessories lineup! This floating, tennis ball sized speaker is both convenient and functional with Bluetooth connectivity, call-taking capability and built-in 4 GB memory for holding up to 1,000 songs. It mounts to any smooth surface using an industrial suction cup base, and is perfect for the kayak, SUP or Eclipse. In stock now!

72026103 Barnacle Plus Speaker $65.00 (USA USD / 10-2017)

Hobie Barnacle Plus features:
* Waterproof
* Floats
* Stores up to 1,000 songs / 4 GB internal memory
* Industrial suction cup base
* Sand / Dust proof
* Water pressure proof charging port
* Built-in mic & caller ID

Is it waterproof??