Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: replacing H16 hulls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone ever replaced their Hobie 16 hulls with hulls of another brand or homemade hulls? I was thinking of possibly making some carbon fiber hulls to replace my original hulls that are getting soft.

Post subject: Re: replacing H16 hulls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope, but what an interesting idea. Use your hulls for plugs and make molds from them, then lay up carbon hulls. As long as you don't sell them, I don't think it's a copyright issue.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was actually thinking of my own design that won't pitchpole as easily.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Over the years I built a hobie cat and a few kayaks from ply wood panels and a number of cedar strip kayaks and canoes so now I keep thinking of a cedar strip Cat. Kind of thinking of a more modern hull design but pick up other parts from an old hobie to keep cost down. I am pretty sure it would be lighter than glass hulls, probably not as light as carbon but a lot cheaper....Jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That should read Hobby cat, got the plans out of a 1973 magazine . it was a 14 foot cat modled after the H14... Jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

$$$$$$

Lots of better options to spend that kind of money on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before making any decisions on what to do, take a very rough stab at the raw material prices, (ie.. x number of gallons of this or that resin, and aprox x yards of your selected cloth (carbon, glass, etc). Price it all out first, I suspect you will be stunned at the raw material cost ( I was) now compared to say 20-30 yrs ago.
just sayin
FE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watching the thread, and didn't want to discourage you.... but yeah, that seems like a lot of $$$ for very little return. I love my 16, but there are definitely more performance oriented boats on the market now. The thing I love about the 16 is the simplicity of the design and the fact that as a fiberglass boat it is virtually indestructible with a little maintenance and the occasional cheap repair.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going to go ahead and join the rest of the folks here and rain on your parade as well. Building a set of custom hulls is expensive. Plywood hulls could be built for under a thousand, but they would be heavier, less shapely, more rot prone...... less good.

It would not be cost effective to put fancy carbon fiber hulls on a H16 frame and rigging. I can't think of a single component on the hobie 16 that would be appropriate on a race boat with carbon hulls. They are just completely different animals.

If you are just looking for a cat that sails a little better, try upgrading to a H18 (or something even better if you have $$$)

If you are looking for something special, build a plywood trimaran. It will be slower, but it will be your special toy.

There is a good chance you can salvage your hulls, depending how soft they are. If the hulls can't be saved, incomplete hobie 16's with OK hulls can be had for under $400, and often come with a few spare parts that might help you down the road.

~Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have built a good number of ply wood hulled 18 foot kayaks and there lighter than fiberglass kayaks you can buy, even lighter than a lot of the kevlar kayaks. You are limited on shapes for the hulls but could come up with a good hull shape like they have for kayaks. Of course the hulls are glassed inside and out and are amazingly strong. As far as rot goes I have 1 kayak I have used for 15 years and I paddle on average of 150 days a year and its fine. I do store it inside when not paddling which might not be as easy with a sail boat, I know My hobie sits at the lake 6 months out of the year.
A cedar strip hull would be even lighter but cost a bit more and more work, could build any shape you wanted with cedar. Both would be a lot of time and work and not sure you would find any plans to help with the shape. cost for me to build an 18 foot kayak is app.$500 to $750 so you would more than double that for cat hulls I would guess. Like others said you could probably buy a nicer cat for what you would spend building hulls but theres somthing about using somthing you built your self .. Jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don’t forget about the incredibly higher stresses on a catamaran’s hulls compared to a kayak.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, don’t tell me you’re thinking about an A-cat too!

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

True there is a lot of stress on a cat. I built a wooden one back in 73 and it held up fine for the 6 years I owned it . Wood can be pretty amazing when its put to the test, skis always amaze me how far and how many repeated times they can flex and never break. I have 3k miles or so on the wooden bike frame I made and its holding up well. Jay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jim-doty wrote:
Matt, don’t tell me you’re thinking about an A-cat too!

Jim

Nope. I'm too old, fat and slow. If drop $35K on a boat, it's going to have a motor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:lol: