Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has the design of the mast base and step changed over the years on the H16? I was told that the only design changes(to get more rake) were in wire rigging lengths and low profile blocks. I was thinking of replacing the step and base on my '86 boat (all aluminum mast). Mine are in good shape, but I was under the impression that the new step and base are cast differently for more rake and better mast rotation. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yes... In the early 80s we changed the step to allow for rake and again around 2004 we came out with another changed base and step casting set. The 2004 version allows even more rake, has larger stops and matched surfaces for less wear in contact points. The step cup also has small holes drilled in it that are called a "chip keeper". The chip presses into the recesses and grips the chip in place. They don't squeeze out when sailing or fall out during transport. Really cool idea by Dan Ketterman. Works great.

20640011 MAST BASE H16 BLACK

20200011 MAST STEP,H14/16 BLACK

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that info. I'll be replacing those soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Yes... In the early 80s we changed the step to allow for rake and again around 2004 we came out with another changed base and step casting set. ...

Other than ditching the hook system in the early '70s, were there any other changes? It looks like I'm in the "need to replace the mast base" club and I'm guessing my 2000 boat has a step that dates to the '70s, and a base from the early '80s?

In that case, are there any issues with replacing just the base? Here's what I have:

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just received the new base I ordered, and despite what MattM said it is the same part that I had on my supposedly 2000 boat. I'm thinking that I should probably replace the step (the one I have is definitely older than the current one) and possibly reinstall the old base for now so the new one doesn't get damaged by my old step.

My current decision is whether I should order the $123 step+rivets or spring for the $336 crossbar with step already installed. My existing crossbar was mis-drilled at the factory, making the port jib traveler sheave basically unusable. Not a hard repair, but if the $200 extra would a) install the mast step properly and b) allow me to fix the sheave issue easily, then I could probably sell my old crossbar w/step to someone who wanted to upgrade to the integrated track. More labor to replace, obviously, but easy labor.

Would I have to drill and screw my lance cleats to the crossbar? Should I upgrade that to the latest system instead? I'm tempted to go to the newest jib traveler cars, as pretty much everyone says they are a worthwhile upgrade.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

If mismatched on your boat... likely the base was replaced at some point or the mast was from a 2004 ish model. They definitely came out together as a matched set and were really a new thing at the 2004 H16 Worlds.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a 1975 Hobie with what appears to be the original (at least in style) mast step and mast base. The mast itself was replaced at one point, but it's still the all-aluminum mast with older mast base, in great shape. That said, I ordered a new Hobie mast step link (had one already, but bent and I don't want to take any risk). My question is, can I replace just the mast step with the newest model, or does that necessitate replacing the mast base as well?