Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's often easier to see than to describe. My method includes a block in the bridle with the jib halyard run through it with some extra line on it. Tail end goes through the cleat on the mast for the jib halyard and either in a belt loop or my hand. Raise and tighten as you reach points where you can rest on the lifting. I'm at the point that I can do it myself almost as quickly as I can do it with help.

But there are several methods. As you do this you'll find a method that works for you. It's more of a worry sitting on the sofa than actually doing it.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always recommend this, watch Matt Miller's instructional video. It will show you a method of setting up the mast alone. The video can be found on this forum or on you tube.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put a 6 foot ladder about 10 feet behind the boat to support the mast. This will make it easier to pin the mast base to the step and it will make it easier to lift the mast since you won’t need to bend over as far to start the lift. Use a length of line tied to one of the trap wires or main halyard and then routed through a pulley on the trailer mast stand and then back to the boat. After you get the mast raised, take out the slack in the line and cleat it off. Then you can jump down and pin the forestay.

I would highly recommend you get familiar raising the mast with two people before attempting solo. It is a lot of weight swinging around and if it gets away from you, it can do a lot of dammage.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First buiid a tripod to set up behind the boat. I had one that simply collapsed so I could store it on the trailer when no in use. Set the mast resting on the tripod with the bottom at the mast step. Pin the mast step link. There is a link sold by Murray that eliminates the toggling effect that happens when raising the mast but that link must be removed for sailing. Then tie a line from the bridle to the end of the jib halyard. Shrouds must be connected and lain inside the rails of the tramp so they don't hook on anything. Start at the rear of the tramp and raise the mast. With the standard link, about half way up, you have the put a "hitch" or "bounce" in the mast to get it to toggle into socket. Once up, lean into to mast, reach down and uncleat the jib halyard, and pull it tight so it holds the mast up. Re-cleat and pin the forstay to the shackle, then remove the temporary line. If your have hiking lines with bungee cord, you can hook the around the corner castings at the front of the tramp and lay the shrouds inside them. That way they won't hook on anything. Reverse the procedure to lower the mast.

I used this method for years and preferred raising the mast solo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gin pole, electric winch, and shock cord on the end the trap wires in each side to stabilize it. Honestly this was overkill. Just having the electric winch with a remote in your hand while you guide it up works well if you're solo.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD