Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advise on deck cracks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noticed two cracks on the starboard deck. One is close to the forward pylon. The second is about half way between the pylons.

I'm trying to work out if these are just superficial or if i have a problem that needs to be fixed.

first crack.
https://ibb.co/nqhJOb

close up
https://ibb.co/dUdxGw

2nd crack
https://ibb.co/jVNeUG

Any advise would be appreciated

Last edited by invid on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the images are not appearing. you have to put them on a publicly accessible url so the links work and maybe wrap the link with the img tag in the editor menu above

My boats have all had hairline cracks in the deck that I never worried about. I assume that comes from flexing as the boat goes through waves and that it's the brittle gelcoat that cracks. I bought a small tube of gelcoat repair, like the size of travel toothpaste, that I use on a couple gravel dings that happened on the sides of my hulls. You could use that if you're concerned about hairline cracks. I just use it to cover any small gouges to keep out water on the sides but I haven't done anything to my decks.

But if you can tell the cracks go through the fiberglass, then that is a problem. If you can press down with the palm of your hand on the wide spot of the deck several inches in front of the forward posts, and if it moves as you press it, then it's a soft spot and that hull needs to be fixed or replaced in my opinion. That soft spot will flex the hull more and more and eventually could fail. Soft spots come from moisture inside the hulls delaminating the deck layers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like pretty typical hairline cracks in the gelcoat. I wouldn’t worry about them. The composite beneath the gelcoat is reinforced with fiberglass and can withstand flexing, but the outer gelcoat layer is not reinforced so it’s more brittle and will crack when flexed. As IP said, if the crack opens up or if you can flex the deck easily by pushing on it with your hand, then this would be a problem. But if the hull feels solid then this is just cosmetic. You could grind out the crack and fill it in with gelcoat, but there’s a good chance the crack would reappear at some point. I would just leave it as is.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked at your images using the links you edited into the post, and those like like standard issue hairline deck cracks to me. I have them too. I don't bother with them, but if you want to seal them up you could use something like this
https://www.amazon.com/MagicEzy-Hairline-Fix-Fiberglass-Repair/dp/B00J1Y6PFU/ref=lp_9700834011_1_5?srs=9700834011&ie=UTF8&qid=1517176061&sr=8-5

don't go by my color match in that link, there are different shades of white. I don't remember which one I used on the sides of my hulls and I'm not that fussy.