Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trap wires..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cant really tell how the trap wires are supposed to be connected with shock cord under the trampoline...

I read the rigging instructions but it didnt explain how it should be...

on my cat, the trap wires have a short cord, with an oval ring on one end, and adjuster link in the middle, and then a loop in the end of the adjuster cord. the 1/4" shock cord goes thru the loop, then over to the other side and thru the cord loop on that side, then back where the ends of the shock cord are tied together.... so the shock cord is just a big loop

the other two trap wires are rigged the same...

BUT... under the side bars, there are 2 blocks hanging on each side. one is about 1/3 the way back, and the other is 2/3 the way back.... on each side. what might these be for, and are they OEM or an add-on?

ALSO.. there are traveler cars connected to tracks on each side of the front cross-over tube, with shock cord tied from one car across to the car on the other side ... I assume the shock cord should be just tight enough to bring both cars toward the center when the adjuster lines are loosened. is this correct?

the rigging instructions dont show the traveler tracks, (with swivel cams) on each side, but only the fixed swivel cam cleats... are thse tracks cars and extra swivel cam cleats another Add-on by a PO, or are they used in normal sailing?

Post subject: Re: trap wires..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trap bungee - it sounds like a "return system" boat mod like this https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8001 and maybe here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37051

If you google it and search images you'll see some with those blocks under the side rails.

My boat, and most that I've seen, just use a simple straight line of about 8' of shock cord with snap hooks on each end. The snap hooks into a loop (bowline knot) in a small length of line that connects the harness handle to the wire like this

There are variations on this setup. The shock cord on my boat just runs straight under the tramp and around the side rails straight up to the handle. Some put them through holes in the tramp.

You are correct that the jib traveler cars on the front cross bar are connected by a bungee designed to snap them back to center after you release the traveler line. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27447. I run mine around the dolphin striker one time just to keep it low and out of the way.

Post subject: Re: trap wires..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I.P. Freely wrote:
If you google it and search images you'll see some with those blocks under the side rails.

My boat, and most that I've seen, just use a simple straight line of about 8' of shock cord with snap hooks on each end. The snap hooks into a loop (bowline knot) in a small length of line that connects the harness handle to the wire like this

There are variations on this setup. The shock cord on my boat just runs straight under the tramp and around the side rails straight up to the handle. Some put them through holes in the tramp.

You are correct that the jib traveler cars on the front cross bar are connected by a bungee designed to snap them back to center after you release the traveler line. I run mine around the dolphin striker one time just to keep it low and out of the way.

Thank you for the links and information... it is very helpful.