Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Broken or not, I’d think twice about using the mast base the way it is. There’s a reason they switched to a mast step hinge system several decades ago and never looked back - much more dependable and safer than the original hook system.

sm

“several decades ago”....that hurt. So old Hobie aren’t like vintage Corvettes. No, seriously....thanks for your post, you are correct. Any chance you can point me to the correct rivets to use. Also, should I consider any thing else if I’m opening it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/14-16_March_2017.pdf?_ga=2.98907934.1456418486.1525290778-2029119106.1505777923

Check the Rivet Guide. But really what you’re looking for are 3/16” diameter stainless steel rivets about 1/2” long. You don’t need to purchase from Hobie, especially if you plan to replace a lot of rivets. A place like McMaster Carr will sell them for a fraction of what Hobie or other marine dealers charge.

sm

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pretty slow right now with getting 50 Cent to her maiden voyage. So many things competing for the time. I’ve decided do an oxidation removal and wax of the hulls.....and I’m pleased with how the 73 fiberglass is coming back. No wind at lake this weekend so we broke out the ski boat for its shake down run to start the season. Worked on the land ramp and anchor for Hobie. Next weekend daughters competing tennis tournament in OKC. Then back to Lake. I’m going to take my time and try to do the HC16 the right way.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here’s what made the decision easy. I did a quick test area and I was sold.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you have a nice easy sloping beach, our place on Lake Martin has a really tall seawall running the entire water front and our pier is too high out of the water also. The pier is going to be rebuilt to make it more user friendly for the Hobie and paddle boards but that won't be done until later in the year when the water level is dropped. For now I will have to continue to moor the boat when I have it at the lake. The thing I hate most is dealing with all of the wave action from the power boats when I have the boat moored, I cringe every time I see the Hobie bouncing around so, I really want to have it out of the water when down there at the lake. Yeah, beachcats and paddleboards were not in the thought process when my Grandparents built the place in the early 60's, back then it was all about fishing, and skiing. Our ski boat is a 1962 Span America Nomad runabout by the way. Lol. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Looks like you have a nice easy sloping beach, our place on Lake Martin has a really tall seawall running the entire water front and our pier is too high out of the water also. The pier is going to be rebuilt to make it more user friendly for the Hobie and paddle boards but that won't be done until later in the year when the water level is dropped. For now I will have to continue to moor the boat when I have it at the lake. The thing I hate most is dealing with all of the wave action from the power boats when I have the boat moored, I cringe every time I see the Hobie bouncing around so, I really want to have it out of the water when down there at the lake. Yeah, beachcats and paddleboards were not in the thought process when my Grandparents built the place in the early 60's, back then it was all about fishing, and skiing. Our ski boat is a 1962 Span America Nomad runabout by the way. Lol. [emoji1]

It must be hard to moor your HC! The sloped you see in the background is the neighbors lot. On the MIL’s lot.....I’m dealing with rocks with sharp edges and a little more slope. We do have a covered dock with lift....and the MasterCraft is always parked there. I had it moored this weekend to do some lift maintenance. It’s going to be a lot of fun....but it takes time as you’ve stated. I really want everything ready when I drop the HC16 in the lake as I don’t have a trailer. Very cool that you have kept the old ski boat going! I might have you on horse power.

Last edited by FiftyDollar on Mon May 21, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cutting some vinyl decals to update the look.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah you've definitely got the power with that beast. Here is our classic. Here are also pics of how I moor the Hobie at the lake. It was late in the year and the water level was down already. I basically tie the Hobie with very long dock line, one front pylon tied to the pier, and an opposite rear pylon tied off to a very large post at the seawall. This keeps the boat pointed in the direction of the waves and it has enough line to ride the waves and stay away from the pier and seawall. It's about 12 feet deep there. Its definitely challenging but so worth it. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are just a few more pics showing how I tie the boat off at the lake. I think that I want the new pier be lower and without railing and have a large wide deck area that the boat can sit on and be totally out of the water, or at least be able to be tied up to. ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great explanation and awesome pictures. I like all boats and that old ski boat has been well loved....and it shows. I also really like the colors of your HC16. It definitely let’s you sleep better with your boat up and out of the water when not in use. You have a great setup and I’m sure you’re a pro at all the best knots.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. The only time the boat is in the water like that is when I have it at the lake, otherwise it is sitting on its trailer in my back yard with its cover on it. I live about 45 minutes away from the place at the lake.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That mast base looks exactly like mine when I first got it; I'd replace it with a new one to be safe. I live in the middle of nowhere Hobie-wise, so I just ordered one from Amazon, but your local Hobie shop should be able to get it for you too; the part number is 20640011. You'd need to drill out the rivets holding the old base on, remove the base and any rivet bits, tape the new one up and drill holes through the new one that are just larger than the rivets, and replace from there. For drilling the new holes, I think it would be best to do it with the new base temporarily held onto the mast to ensure the holes line up right. You want them to be pretty close to the rivets's size, otherwise they won't work. You can always make the holes bigger, but they won't get smaller.

It's probably a good idea to use some silicone sealant around the base too, since the mast is supposed to be sealed to help prevent turtling if the boat tips over. You would do that prior to riveting, and probably do a small amount in the rivet holes just prior to riveting the base on.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rebuild has begun. Fun project. Since I only need a trailer for a one time 80 mile move....I’m converting my dirt bike trailer.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

She’s purdy!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What product did you use to bring the gelcoat back to life?

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next