Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Looks like the hulls are cleaning up nicely.

Thanks. I have spent sometime going over every square inch of the hull sides and tops and have found no delamination or soft areas. All attachment points seem solid. In fact, there is no indication that the HC has ever been beached as there is no discoloration underneath. My biggest hurdle is finding port side rudder assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finding the rudder parts shouldn't be very difficult. Someone here may be able to help you out, and search Ebay also.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Finding the rudder parts shouldn't be very difficult. Someone here may be able to help you out, and search Ebay also.

Thank you. I know I can buy new parts....but this being a 73 HC16, I promised myself I wouldn’t invest too much money until I know its a sailer. In fact, I’m not compounding or waxing hulls until after my maiden voyage. You should see my actual rudder blade fix. I’ll post pictures soon. If I’m understanding the parts guide correctly, I need the following to have complete CAT minus some ropes and cables and maybe a miscellaneous pulley or two.

(1) 10412011 Lower Casting
(1) 10352011 Upper Casting port
(1) 20382011 Tiller Tube and Cap
Tiller crossbar 20520011

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have effectively named my HC “50 Cent”.

Check out my rudder blade fix until I know that this thing will sail. Gorilla Glued broken piece, then drilled and counter sunk and drove sheet metal screw. Built up sides and mixed bondo. Time for some sanding and shaping. Seems solid....haha

ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by FiftyDollar on Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What could possibly go wrong? Anyways, where would we all be if Hobart Alter (RIP) hadn’t taken some risks.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe a good idea to have a way to raise that rudder if the repair fails. I assume one good rudder would get you home.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure your rudder repairs will hold up to the stresses of sailing but, give it a try, you can always limp home with one rudder. You can find rudders on Ebay for not too much money if you stay away from the epo rudders. Good luck and have fun with your boat, that's what it's all about.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

leecea wrote:
Maybe a good idea to have a way to raise that rudder if the repair fails. I assume one good rudder would get you home.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Everyone is telling me I’m crazy for taking on this boat, saying that new rudders are worth more than the whole boat. I’m just trying to accomplish a maiden voyage to verify hulls and if it’s worth investing more money into. All needed parts will be used and/or fixed the best I can. I probably won’t even set the jib on first outing. Main only. Right now the only skin in the game is the initial 50 dollars and approximately 45 from local Hobie shop. The goal is to build it soon and run it over to the local Hobie shop for their recommendation on any rigging parts needed, raise the main and then head to the MIL lake lot where it will live and hopefully teach myself, my kids and their many cousins to sail.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Not sure your rudder repairs will hold up to the stresses of sailing but, give it a try, you can always limp home with one rudder. You can find rudders on Ebay for not too much money if you stay away from the epo rudders. Good luck and have fun with your boat, that's what it's all about.

Great advice. Well said.....Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rolled out main and jib. Took inventory of parts and condition. It’s all new to me but compared to parts list found on this forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Could someone please educate me on this mast base? Is this how older mast where manufactured at the base? Also does a mast stepper work here?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the hulls and sail are serviceable, everything else is economically replaceable or repairable. Ebay and the for sale forum on this site will equip you! Looks great, have fun.
Some of my "temporary" repairs have over the years, never needed any further work. I expect your rudder to work just fine.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc wrote:
If the hulls and sail are serviceable, everything else is economically replaceable or repairable. Ebay and the for sale forum on this site will equip you! Looks great, have fun.
Some of my "temporary" repairs have over the years, never needed any further work. I expect your rudder to work just fine.

Aptly said. Thanks for your encouragement!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FiftyDollar wrote:
Could someone please educate me on this mast base? Is this how older mast where manufactured at the base? Also does a mast stepper work here?

Bump. Can anyone help me out about mast base?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dont think the mast step hinge will work with that base as there should be a hole for the hinge pin to go through. When I was a teenager I had a very old H14 and from what I remember, the mast base hooked into the mast step and it did not have a mast step link. I'm only going from memory here so, someone who has the older style mast base and mast step should help refresh my memory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next