Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If there's enough material in left in the "hook" portion of the old mast base, then it could be converted to the hinge system. If not, then you would have to replace the entire mast base and that might also necessitate replacing the mast step (on the front crossbar) since the base and step work together and the design has evolved slightly over the years. A new mast base with an old step may not fit correctly.

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21380001.pdf?_ga=2.52930600.1808139845.1525699686-2078875715.1490016879

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are awesome. Thank you. I really wanted to confirm that old mast base were originally designed this way with a hook. The attached link you provided lays it out perfectly. Very helpful.

Sincerely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Could someone tell me if small jib block has a pulley. Attached is how mine looks and I’m wondering if a pulley has broken off. If you have a picture....it would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is supposed to have a pulley, but after 45 years, the sheave tends to get brittle and break off.....

You can run it the way it is and just run your halyard line over the metal axle. Or you can drill out the rivet/axle in the center and install a new sheave. Or you can just cut the whole pulley housing off of the thimble and get a new Harken bullet block with becket and attach it to the thimble with a bow shackle. Or you can ditch the whole halyard assembly and swap it out with an "Aussie" halyard system. Lot's of options.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not at my boat at the moment, but if there was a pulley I'm pretty sure mine broke off as well. That part is used to get some purchase to tighten the jib halyard.

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... .html?o=20

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Thank you. Especially for laying out all the options. I’ll just run halyard line over metal sleeve for now.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FiftyDollar Hobie is a complete boat minus the 3/16” and 5/16” lines and sheets. Very close to putting HC back together.

Old style tang...but I completed the running rigging today. Do I run trapeze wires outside of shroud wires? Thanks again. I appreciate everyone’s feedback lately.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Build day probably next weekend. All pieces laid out and ready. $375 dollars invested. I feel like a model citizen. I’ve supported my local Hobie dealer, made a few new friends online and possibly saved an old Hobie from the land fill.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's awesome, looks like she is coming together. I really like that blue and looking forward to seeing her all back together.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
That's awesome, looks like she is coming together. I really like that blue and looking forward to seeing her all back together.

Thanks HM. There are girls you’d like to date and girls you’d like to marry....and I suppose “50 Cent” isn’t either one for most....but I asked this wall flower to dance and I’m starting to like her.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The mast base is broken out - you can see the remains of the hole for the step pin. My guess is they tied a line to the eyebolt (not an OEM item) and then to the mast step to get the mast up. Really takes two people - one to hold the mast base in position and another to lift the mast.

Not the safest scenario, either. If the mast kicks out or the line breaks, someone could be looking at a lot of dental work. (Been there, seen it, lots of blood.)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
The mast base is broken out - you can see the remains of the hole for the step pin. My guess is they tied a line to the eyebolt (not an OEM item) and then to the mast step to get the mast up. Really takes two people - one to hold the mast base in position and another to lift the mast.

Not the safest scenario, either. If the mast kicks out or the line breaks, someone could be looking at a lot of dental work. (Been there, seen it, lots of blood.)

I’m listening....and based on your user name, I wouldn’t want to overlook your credentials. However, it seems like a factory end where nothing appears broken. Obviously, if it is factory....Alter made a change to include a full circumference. I’ve lost sleep thinking about it. I guess I’ll ware a motorcycle helmet when I step the mast.....people will probably just wonder if I rode the short bus to school.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In the process of designing a shore based ramp and storage.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the concept. Double 12’ 2 x 6 rails anchored and hinged at shore with shaped galvanized plates strategically placed with glued foam pads for protection.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Broken or not, I’d think twice about using the mast base the way it is. There’s a reason they switched to a mast step hinge system several decades ago and never looked back - much more dependable and safer than the original hook system.

sm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next