Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi, the jib and mainsheet on my Hobie 16 needs to be replaced. With the jib sheet it is an easy deal - 32 feet of 5/16. With the main it seems to be more complicated... a lot of confusing info here. The boat was equipped with a Harken 6:1 system (block diameter is 2.25 inches or 56 mm). The current mainsheet diameter is too big (looks like 1/2 or more) and causes a lot of friction. There is a website out there that lists all line length and diameters (e.g. main sheet: 44 feet and 7/16). At the same time this web site does not specify the type of sheeting system this line is supposed to be combined with. While reading about the recommendations that Harken provides for the type of pulley I am using it looks like a line with a diameter of 3/8 is supposed to be used. Than again 3/8 feels somehow skinny – not so much in terms of strength – more how it would feel in my hands. Please let me know what size of sheets you are using on your main (please state the type/diameter of your blocks or sheeting system). Also let me know what you think about Samson Trophy as a line to be used for my purposes (jib and mainsheet).

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:04 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Main sheet is 44 feet of 3/8 line, when using a low profile 6:1 system. Spun dacron is what I use and love it. Easy to hold and works well in the blocks.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL