Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a YMCA Camp Cosby board member, former team member to the Auburn University Sailing Team (about 22 years ago) and haven't raced or sailed much since I had kids 22 years ago. I raced a Sol Cat 18 and J-22 even at the world level.

Camp Cosby runs a sailing program on lake Logan Martin in Al., and is hurting for program equipment. We have run a 3-4 boat sunfish fleet for many moons, but it is getting long in the tooth. our youngest boat is '84 hull. I thought the Hobie might be a good platform because we can get it out of the water each day, provides a flat platform for kids (they scare when the hull tips on a monohull), and we could provide a ride for about 3-4 kids under the age of 12. We put 2-3 in a sunfish currently.

Well, on a spur I found two older(79 model hull numbers) hobie 16's that were in on the same trailer. Yep, one was disassembled. These were purchased with the intent of getting one completely rigged. After going through the parts, I am missing some things. Like a tiller cross bar, and connection hardware. One hull is missing Rudder pintles, main stay attachment points at the hulls, and the bridle tangs on both bows. I have some extra parts, like booms, and a set of sails. Trapeze, and rigging we may not every use on an inland lake. I am still taking inventory.

Is there a used parts forum listing just for the 16's? Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum and yes, there is a classifieds section at the bottom of the forums list. There are folks with spare parts. You can also post in the wanting to buy section to see if there are some parts out there.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=109

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Welcome to the forum and yes, there is a classifieds section at the bottom of the forums list. There are folks with spare parts. You can also post in the wanting to buy section to see if there are some parts out there.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=109

Thanks for the response and welcome. Another question specific to Hobies, What year models will cross reverence fairly easily? Didn't the rudder assembly change as some point? This may be too broad of a question, but trying to understand, potential rigging differences, etc. I may have some older hulls with newer trampoline/frame assemble from what I am looking at. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just a suggestion but, Try posting a wanted on your local craigslist. Ask for free donations for the Y. You might get lucky.

I am always amazed by the things I see free every day around me on craigslist.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A1cnc wrote:
Just a suggestion but, Try posting a wanted on your local craigslist. Ask for free donations for the Y. You might get lucky.

I am always amazed by the things I see free every day around me on craigslist.

I have. And Facebook trading has really "blown up" as a classified's format as well . That is how i found the boats. Thanks for the suggestion, and response.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Hobie 16s are pretty much the same for all years. Some minor changes in hardware, but you can use a rudder system for any year...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Hobie 16s are pretty much the same for all years. Some minor changes in hardware, but you can use a rudder system for any year...

Matt--Thanks a bunch for the feedback regarding the rudders. question for you. I have two masts the tops of the masts are different. One has one large pulley block, and the other has two small ones where the main sail halyard passes through. I assume the single large is an older style and the double is a newer style? The double pulley has a main sheet cable that is sheathed in plastic. The single one is just wire cable halyard. It looks like mast bases are all uniform and will cross reference. Just trying to understand specifics about engineering changes with time.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like one mast is the old style as you mentioned and the other is perhaps a newer comp-tip style.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings from YMCA Camp Lawrence Cory, the Oldest of the YMCA camps. My father went there, I went there and now my son is there trying to be the first legacy kids to get his name on the cup. Good luck kid!

Its sad to see you struggling like this. I am knew to the forum because I picked up a 16 and am restoring into Le/Machine, but raced them for years and years. There was one camp that raced them, but was never a big fan of them for beginners. We currently have JY 15's and are looking to replace that fleet.

As you know, Hobie's are not a beginners boat. We are seriously looking at Club 420's and another boat by Zimm. Here is the rationale. Club 420's are the simplest and most advance boat that built like brick houses out there. The kids can beat them and they still survive. The other thing is we can market the program for kids so when they get into HS, they can start sailing teams, and many colleges give out scholarships for kids who can race 420's. Yes, we are race focused, and the reason is it is because racing a sail boat is a place where it levels the field for many kids who are not "Jocks". It takes brains, physics, tactics, teaches them leadership and discipline and a life skill. One of my best friends that went to camp with me is at Oxford University now, he is a Professor of Quantum Physics. He gives a great TED talk on the subject. What does he use to explain Quantum Physics? Sailing knows of course.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hobie's, and there is a place, but when you have kids crashing boats, Hovies might not be your first choice, especially 16's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

If you are actually looking at replacements... the Hobie Wave is about the best platform out there for performance fun to keep them interested, stability, easy for a beginner with extreme durability. Also a good price point.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller's advice is spot on. After many years (and a lot of resources) spent toward maintaining a fleet of H16s, the Ocean Springs (MS) Yacht Club has gone entirely to Hobie Waves and Open Bics for their youth sailing. They can probably offer you some more sage advice as well: http://www.osyc.com/index.php?module=Content&func=view&pid=2

There should be some local folks who could offer y'all help. I know of at least one H16 sailor near you that might be willing.....send me a PM. Have you contacted the Birmingham Sailing Club? http://birminghamsailingclub.org/

I see on your website where one can make a donation to sponsor a camper. Can one make a donation for just the sailing program? (Again, send me a PM.)