Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I had an 85’ that I bought recently and after a sail I noticed that I had bought the boat with a bent port side tiller tube, it appears to have broken completely and then as a repair, they put a smaller tube inside the old broken one, straightened them out, the. Welded the “previously broke.” Tiller tube on the outside, it was a pretty impressive job honestly, but I decided I was going to buy a new one, and so I did. Now when it came to remove the rivets holding in the old broken tube, I drilled a hole in the previous river and knocked off the head as well as punched my way through on both sides in the front, so I can see clearly through them, did the same in the back (and the one on the bottom) but it won’t even budge. Not a millimeter, so I decided that I would take my grinder and cut the old tiller tube on both sides, near the end, so I could tale a look inside and see what is going on. For the life of me I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW THEY ARE STILL IN PLACE maybe in the back the welding process might have fused the tube to the housing? I don’t know, and that wouldn’t explain why the front side isn’t coming out because it has no welding work done. So corrosion maybe? I don’t see much on the outside but maybe after years and years it’s just locked into place? I’ve tried really had just to make the tube move in any direction, but it almost seems like it’s glued in..
if ANYONE have any advice at all it would be a great help as you can imagine I am incredibly frustrated by this, what should have been an easy river removal, then swapping of tubes and re riveting is now something that is maligning me thing that I’m going to have to buy all the housings and everything over again just to fix the stupid tiller tube :(
Thanks again guys, don’t know what I would do without this community

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I understand correctly, the problem is that you can't get the aft part of the old tiller tube out of the upper rudder casting and the tiller/crossbar connector won't come out of the front of the old tiller tube?

Likely the problem is corrosion.
Heat is your friend (but not too much!) Maybe try boiling the tiller connector part? Then put the tiller in a vice and yank on the connector? Or even use an angle grinder to carefully grind away some of the tiller thickness?
Put the upper rudder casting in a vice (not too tight) and crush the old tube as much as possible then twist it?
Some penetrating oil (e.g., PB Blaster) might help as well.

I feel your pain.....sounds like one of my plumbing jobs!

Good luck!