Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaching w/ wind at back
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok, so I want to hear everybody's best ideas for getting back into shore when the wind is at your back and plus 15 miles/hr or more. This past summer I frequently encountered this situation and find that a quick tack or jibe when close to shore does not work all that well, especially since the landing I was on either had a lot of weeds or was shallow. I've found taking the main down and sailing in with just the jib works well, but honestly it's a huge pain in the ass to 1.) take down the main in the middle of a windy lake and 2.) it clogs up the tramp on you way in. Does anybody have any good suggestions for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't come in directly down wind. Come in on a beam reach and as you reach the beach area you can let out the main to slow down. When you get on the beach keep it at a 45 let out the main more and turn the boat back into the wind on shore, drop the main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you don't have to deal with surf try this. Sail to a point directly upwind of where you want to land. Swing the boat head to wind, raise the rudders and go stand on the bows. The boat will back up to the shore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't you just get the boat straight away from the wind & tighten the main all the way in, traveler in center ? I will have the same concern this year at the beach. Textbook says to pop main loose & let go of rudders & boat will turn into the wind. Problem is that the boat will be breached by waves until turned all the way back into wind. Not good for Hobies,,