Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Repair
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have three Hobie 16's and I've busted the whole rear end rudder assembly off the boat with gaping hole. Most recently I simply had one of the hulls not hold the rudder assembly and the screws just pulled out. Is this fixable or am I done? Thanks, Andy

Post subject: Re: Hull Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not entirely clear what you're describing. Perhaps you can post some pictures.

There was a thread a while back from someone who completely rebuilt the transom on his boat, so it is repairable, but it is a very involved job. There are multiple layers of fiberglass plus plywood and an aluminum block back there.

If the gudgeon screws are just pulling out, then the easiest fix is to install an access port at the back of the deck and thru-bolt the gudgeons using stainless nuts and bolts. If you've broken the whole back end of your boat off, then you've got a lot of work ahead of yourself to fix it.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
If the gudgeon screws are just pulling out, then the easiest fix is to install an access port at the back of the deck and thru-bolt the gudgeons using stainless nuts and bolts.

Or if they are the stock #12 size, try tapping the holes for good quality 1/4" SS screws with compatible pitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 1982 H16, I have had to remove the plywood from both of my transoms, replace it with multiple layers of fiberglass cloth and resin wrapped around edge, install access ports and install SS thru-bolts, fender washers and nylocks for the old style gudgeons.

The plywood in the transoms eventually will get wet and then swell and rot, which causes corrosion of the aluminum plate and stress on the gudgeon bolts. (Hopefully, Hobie will someday find a better material to use in their transoms than plywood).

If you decide to either tap the aluminum plate with larger diameter bolts or install access ports with thru-bolts, make sure you seal the holes in the transom so water does not leak in and damage the plywood or aluminum plates.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim H16 wrote:
Hopefully, Hobie will someday find a better material to use in their transoms than plywood.

Good point. I wonder if they still use plywood on the new boats. If so, it would make a lot of sense to switch to something like G-10. Rot, swelling, and corrosion would never be an issue.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm the guy that had the thread on rebuilding the transoms. I'd be glad to help if I can. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I can tell you what I did, where I got stuff and show you some pictures I took. My repair seems to be holding up well. However, I still had good glass/plywood to work with. If you've ripped out an actual hole in the transom then installing access ports and rebuilding from the inside first is probably the way to go in my amateur opinion... assuming you want to take on the project.

The mantra I've always heard is that if it's glass it can be fixed. It's just a matter of time and money.