Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys! I have a 1983 H16 which needs a bottom job. There's visible wear to both keels and weeping water after a sail out of a hole or two in said wear areas. I plan to rebuild profile per other posts on this site. HOWEVER, the inboard side of each hull has a decent amount of blisters running more or less the length of the boat extending 8-10" up from the keel. 90% are not cracked but more like small bumps, visible looking perpendicular to hulls. Given that I will be flipping and working the hulls anyway, are these blisters worth dealing with simultaneously? If so, since they are so numerous that it would be sanding a 8-10" stripe all the way across the hulls essentially; is it worth it to go ahead and sand the entire hull and do full gelcoat renewal rather than have it blend and be contrast new white versus aged white? Or does the fact that the blisters aren't actually cracked mean I'm wasting my time, given the rest of the hulls are in great condition IRT gelcoat?

I have no qualms about doing a simple bottom rebuild and gelcoating of the bottom repair; I just want to see if it would be worth it to tackle the inboard side of the hulls as well rather than have them develop into a problem later.

It was hard to capture the extent of the blisters/bumps during the daytime so excuse the photo at night. Any experience, thoughts, etc appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might want to send in your questions to https://www.facebook.com/events/1097629080703951/

This will be held on Wednesday and from what I've seen of Mark Modderman, he knows his stuff.

Jim Clark-Dawe