Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Rake
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 09 Hobie 16 that is fairly new to me, only had it at about 3 races. I am having issues with the mast rake. I can tighten the jib halyard so tight the shrouds will hardly move at all, yet when I measure my mast rake I cannot get it any lower than about 20. What can I do to get my mast rake down to the 16-18 range? (My shrouds are set at the 3rd hole from the bottom, which seems to be where everyone else's shrouds are set at in my division.

Post subject: Re: Mast Rake
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a similar discussion with a guy in our New Zealand fleet. Check this document out, skip to the mast set up and Jib Position sections.

http://hobieclass.hobiecat.net.au/wp-co ... ing_16.pdf

In short, depending on your crew weight the hole you use on the sidestay might not be the same as others. Don't be afraid to move up or down a hole when competing (I'm too lazy to do it on recreational sails) depending on the wind conditions and your total crew weight. Rake forwards powers up the rig, mast rake backwards unpowers the rig (as to why, I forgot, but I used to know). Team "Big Macs" would want to power it up more to stay competitive, i.e. even if everybody else is on hole three (from the top), they may be on hole two or one.

On very high wind sailing days, I've knocked it back to hole 5 before. I think that particular day, my mates were on hole 6 on the other boat.

Hole three from the top seems to be largely regarded as standard.

Once you've gotten the feel of this adjustment, start fooling around with others. Rudder pitch inwards/outwards, jib clew hole, jib tack hole, jib halyard, outhaul, downhaul, trapeze heights, batten tension etc.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That article is somewhat helpful, thank you. So when I am racing our weight is about 310, and trying to get down to the 300 range. From what i can tell and read, the 3rd hole from the bottom is a good start spot and about 16" of mast rake is good to start out with. That is what I would like, but my rig will just physically not do that. I pull that jib halyard so tight the shrouds will hardly move and my mast rake will still be 21" to 23".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What jib halyard system do you have? The Aussie one?

The Aussie one provides more mechanical advantage over the old one... a 2009 boat should have it.

Are you taking the pin out of the mast step link? That could also be holding it back...

Otherwise I don't really know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm assuming you already use one of these tools (or equivalent) to pull on the jib halyard right?

https://www.murrays.com/product/01-0010/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have to pin higher up on the shroud adjusters to decrease the rake. The jib halyard really just sets the rig tension which is a different issue altogether. (Some may argue the semantics.)

For reference, here's how I run mine ('08 H16, Aussie jib halyard, none of the newest stuff to adjust jib halyard tension on the fly): With my nearly new sails, max rake (main blocks not quite block to block when sheeted HARD) is at the second hole on the shroud adjusters counting up from the bottom. With my original sails (more stretched), I have to go up a hole or two from there. I'll go up a hole or two on either of these to power up some for light air, heavy crew weight ,etc.

Again, it depends on the conditions, but generally I run my rig (jib halyard) fairly tight (some will argue against that, too!). However, I have never used any kind of tool to tension it.