Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I am stoked to finally have some free storage space likely lined up and all I got was an eye roll from the missus. It's time to do some Cat shopping. I took a look at a boat yesterday and I may pull the trigger on it and I just want to make sure I have some info to get the seller down a bit more.

It looked good compared to some I've seen. Ready to sail but will require a little cleaning and replacement of the tramp lacing mostly. The HIN is CCM(S?)1224M83(M?). The two letters don't exactly conform to the typical rules. Why S and not B? and Should I assume based on the month letter that this was an 83 m.y. but layed up in Jan 84? Sail number is 77044. Does the HIN and sail number more or less agree? Grayish black hull lamination so heavy but whatever.

The sail appears to share the color panel pattern of a mid nineties minus the o'neil lettering. Jib is solid blue. Sail from the top panel is Lt.Bl./Bl./Ye./3x Wh./Ye./Bl./Lt.Bl. I don't see that anywhere in the mid eighties.

Here are the goods:

Sails in terrific shape no fades mold holes. Just some slight fraying on the edge. Not a stitch off.<biggest selling point here
Hull in tact no cracks or soft spots.
All rigging in good shape faded but not fraying fibers showing on the lines. Main used but good and jib near new
Trailer is roadworthy.
All parts present save the hiking harnesses

The bads:

Dirty, little lichens and things on the top of the hulls and on the white tramp. Will this stuff stain the white hull?
Tramp lacing will need replacing
Damage from beaching. Gel coat has scratches only one 18" section on one hull has gone to the glass. Was repaired but just a good bandaid to protect the native fibers, not professional ie color matched gel coat.
Rudders look a little beat for being stored in the locker on the trailer. Glass fibers refracting indicating sun wear, 1/8" of tips rubbed off from running aground. Look a little loose and some radial wear showing from lifting.
He says the tramp is good and I believe him but I doubt it's last another two years.

The seller wants about a thousand for it. You know how it is when you see a classified and it's 20 ft good but at 3 ft it's a basket case but it was in surprisingly good condition. I would say overall Sails 9/10, Hull 6/10, Hard Rigging(cables pins pulleys cleats) 8/10, and Soft rigging and tramp 6/10.

I want to get him down to 800 and I'll walk at 900 I think. Based on your experience does this sound like a good course of action and what's up with those identifiers? Thanks all I am just so excited to sail again, this will be my first boat. Silly considering I was a sailing instructor at a summer camp for two years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't think it was in the catalog but upon looking again it is a dead ringer for sail style 55A 1981 m.y.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds like a great deal to me.

just make sure the hulls in front of the pylons arent soft.
Not having gel coat under the hulls isn't a problem at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a 14 turbo earlier this year that had lichen growing on the tramp, sheets, hulls, Heck everywhere now that I think about it! It cleaned up great. No stains on mine from the lichen. I just used simple green and a plastic scrub brush, like a toilet brush but stiffer.

As for the price, For me it would have to have a trailer at the $800 but it depends on where you are. Some places will draw a higher price. There are 2 I have seen on craigslist for less than what you are willing to pay with trailers in similar shape so again depends on where you are and what is available.

Mine is an 84 so I am kind of surprised yours isn't a redline.

Have you looked to see what's available besides this boat? That might give you an idea of where to be as for price. What it's listed at and what it sells at are usually 2 different things.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi A1CNC,

This boat comes with a trailer with a spare tire. There are no extras like backup sails, righting bag, cat trax etc that would cause it to fetch a higher price. I can draw from the SF bay area and tahoe/sierra markets so boats do show up quite often at the 400-600 for projects 800-1200 range for sail ready(4 or so atm that are 16s) Nice ones nice older ones fetch 1200-1700. Ignoring the tramp I suppose the one big expense would be the 18x2" area where the gel coat wore away. Is that expense, if I can get him down to 800, going to exceed that 400 or so difference? Based on the sail number mismatch and the hull numbers will this boat, like an automobile does, fetch a lower price vs. original on a non numbers matching boat?

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Boats available right now in my area for example:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/ ... 75372.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/ ... 96336.html 14 but no fade at all on that hull
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 49235.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/ ... 36279.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/ ... 67511.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/ ... 94262.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/ ... 35689.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I recall correctly, redline boats were made from 1984-1986.
Sounds like a decent boat, pics would be nice to compare with the others in the post, but it sounds like a good boat. Get it, clean it, sail it!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rudders look a little beat for being stored in the locker on the trailer. Glass fibers refracting indicating sun wear

Are these rudders black? Sounds like possibly epo's if they are black.

Based on the other boats you posted there are some others that look better than what you describe this boat as, for the same or better price.

I REALLY like the sails on this one
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/ ... 75372.html

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I had my druthers I would pick up an boat with the prism, tequila sunrise, or jalapeño sail scheme. That is over my ceiling, budget wise. So does anyone else have a HIN with an M for the build month or know what it means given december == L?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I understand it, production for a given year for older boats began with the month of September.
Sept=A
Oct=B
Nov=C
Dec=D
Jan=E
Feb=F
Mar=G
Apr=H
May=I
Jun=J
Jul=K
Aug=L

M=model year, as in my HIN has M84K which means that my boat was made in July of 1984.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It doesn’t because M is after L and L would be month 12. No month 13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where is the "M" in your HIN?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No place on this forum to upload images? Can't find it in the user CP like other VB forums. Anyway this is the serial number. It is pretty clearly written CCMS1224M83M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Tapatalk to upload pics. Maybe Matt Miller or MBounds could shed some light about the HIN.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Booya just used the UCP from another forum I don't visit anymore.

Last edited by Hobiewonkenobi on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.