Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have glued the pylons to the corner castings on my new H-16. But inevitably the little straw that provides pressure relief is clogged and/or I have completely sealed the pylon to the corner casting. In any case, I want to install a new hole for pressure relief in the forward pylons or corner castings. If I try to drill a small hole in the top of the corner casting I am afraid it will do nothing. The other option is drilling a hole low on the pylon (just above the hull) to get below the foam plug. The hole would be drilled in back of the pylon where the track is.

Any thoughts?

As a side note, while gluing up the hulls I tried blowing air into each hull using a shop vac in the hopes that would clear out any epoxy flowing into the straws in the foam. But it did not help. So I suspect the straws are clear but the corner casting is completely sealing off the pylon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was getting ready to glue a 16 and was worried about that

I thought about putting long silicone tube on the straw cutting notch for it in the back track area of the pylon and route it in the track then after dry pulling the tube out ?

can you drill a small hole up high on the back to get into the cavity the tube in then seal the casting letting it vent through the vertical track on the pylon ?

H18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can drill a hole alright. But I fear you will be simply drilling into the foam plug. No gain. There is no air gap between the top of the foam plug in the pylon and the metal pylon cap, to the best of my knowledge. That is why I was wondering if I could drill a small hole (1/16"?) low, below the foam plug.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just keep your drain plugs out when not sailing to allow the pressure equalize.

Otherwise, maybe drill a tiny hole in the transom, right below the deck lip.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had not heard of the hole in the transom. That is a pretty good idea. Although, I gotta say, drilling holes in the hull of a boat seems a bit counter!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On second thought, the transoms of a Hobie 16 spend a fair amount of time under water, so that may not be the best idea.

I still think just leaving the drain plugs out when not sailing would be all the ventillation you need.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have the boat apart yet but from the pictures I've seen looks like the foam plug is down little bit in the pylon tube sticks up ? my thinking was if you drill high into that cavity then seal the casting up you would create a trap were it would have to pull water all the way up the tack area on the pylon same as factory ?

here is the where I was seeing the front pylon configuration
https://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/ ... ature1.htm

H18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

But that is on a boat that was built 36 years ago (1982). Construction methods at HobieCo have changed significantly since then. I would not put much into those photos.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I glued one and tried to keep the breather tubes open, didn't succeed. It just farts on you when you pull the plugs which is a good sign. I wouldn't sweat the breather tubes, air compresses quite a bit and won't do any damage. I would suggest inspection ports somewhere, without these the inside of your hulls will never dry out no matter how long you leave the drain plug open. Course if you don't care about the inside of the hulls drying out, don't sweat this either.