Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked Rear Crossbar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone heard of a cracked rear crossbar? Mine has developed a rather large crack along the length of rear crossbar, from the the port corner casting to the mainsheet traveler cleat. If you were looking at the cross-section of the crossbar, I think it's just aft of the lacing strip portion and the large section of the extrusion. What looks like a hairline crack in the photo below, opens up to about 3-4mm gap when sheeted in hard with the main traveler at the footstrap as you would on a beam reach.

I've sailed this 1984 H16 hard, but never abusively in the 4 years that I've had it. I honestly have no idea how much it was sailed before I had it, but the sails are reasonably crisp and overall the boat is in decent shape. I'm obviously going to tear the frame apart and replace the crossbar... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

2012 H16 (with 2018 Cayman Main) #115139

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My guess, a manufacturing defect during the extrusion process that took a long time to show up. Never seen a crossbar crack like that before. I certainly wouldn’t sail it again until that crossbar is replaced.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I disassembled the frame and drilled out the corner casting rivets. Closeup of the fracture below.

I have an older crossbar laying around, but it's from an old beat up '74 that I parted out. I'm considering a new rear crossbar, but I want to make sure the new style extrusion will mate with the old corner castings... is this possible?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:04 am 
Site Admin

The new extrusion will fit. You will want to get a new traveler car too... the 111. or just the lower car 112.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can it be welded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Defy wrote:
Can it be welded?
That would probably be a terrible idea. In my experience, aluminum welding is very hard for all but the most experienced welders with the best TIG or MIG equipment. I'd guess Hobie uses 6061-T6, which while highly weldable, would need heat treatment / tempering again to regain it's strength after being weakened by the heat from welding. (wiki page on 6061)

Thanks to Matt Miller for clarifying what I needed to know. Glad to hear the new extrusion will fit the old corner castings, which is the route I will go. I'll order a new traveler car too. I think the new crossbar comes completely bare, so I guess I'll get a new eyestrap and swivel mounting bracket. I could probably find another used 80s boat for the price of all the parts... but at least this will be a new, modern, part on my trusty old '84.