Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have gone over many times thru the years, but never on purpose. I would like to be able to do this to show newbies how to right the boat and to give them some confidence that we are not going to die if we go over. Any tried and true methods? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hike out on the leeward side. That should help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try NOT to capsize, That usually works for me.

If you have a newbie aboard, try both of you on one edge of the tramp and hopefully you have a righting rope. Throw the righting rope up around the tramp frame and lean out. So Un-righting I guess.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crew on low side, put the boat on a beam reach, sheet in, head up slightly, sheet in a little more, she should go right over. The hardest part will be fighting your instinct to pop the sheet and save it from going over.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have a 16 but this seems a bit risky. Normally when you go over, you're on the top side. This way, you'll be on the low side, and the boom and sail will be coming over you, potentially hitting you and covering you. Has anyone tried it?

Why not just do the demo at the shore, pulling it over and showing how to right it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good idea, just flip the boat on it's side in shallow water or on the beach and right it from there. Be safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Head up into wind...both get at back of tramp. She will tip over backwards slowly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Simply have you and your crew stand on the as far back on one hull as you can. The bow will lift up and tilt over. This is called a controlled capsize.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tech Tip from Hobies catalog page 17, (last paragraph).

RIGHTING YOUR HOBIE: On that reach...flying through the air and water then...WHAM!!! Your Hobie Cat has forced you to swim instead of sail. Not really what you had in mind? if you have planned ahead you will be up and sailing again quickly. Whether sailing single handed or with a few friends, righting your boat can be quick and easy...
First, preventing your mast from becoming one with the bottom, or “turtling” is a priority. We at Hobie have designed mast floats to help keep your Hobie Cat from becoming a ‘mudhen’. The floats attach to the top of your mast and will prevent the mast tip from sinking.
The next objective will be to get back to sailing! Righting systems vary a bit, but the theory is the same. A line is attached to your Hobie, thrown over the hull in the air and then weight (yours and or your friends) is used to lever the boat back to an upright and sailable position.
After you have checked that everyone is OK, turn your hulls and mast into the wind (see diagram) and uncleat your sails. You and your friend now need to congregate on the hull that is in the water. Grab the righting line, lean away from the trampoline and get as close to the water as you can. Try to stay out of the water. If you don’t have enough body weight to right the cat we have the Righting Bucket! Just attach it to the boat, with the hook that is provided, throw over the upper hull and fill the bucket with water! With the bucket strap over your shoulder, lean your weight out from the boat. The bag comes clear of the water and up the cat will come!! Grab the dolphin striker or crossbar as it comes up, climb aboard, sheet in and GO!
Tipping your Hobie over can be a great way to cool off and enjoy the water... try it! It’s excellent practice for when you weren’t planning to go for a swim but your Hobie decided that you needed to cool off!
MAST FLOAT "BABY BOB"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having done it many times I can say that intentional capsizes are safer than the accidental ones.
1) You see it coming
2) You are on the low side
- don't have to fall past the boom, or fall at all
- If you have ever gone over trapped out on the wings of an 18, you can certainly appreciate this...

In light/no wind:
If possible adjust a trap handle as short as it will go.
Send everyone to leeward hull
Have someone trap out (not hooked in, just holding onto handle)
-Have trapped out person jump off foot rail, swinging out. As the boat comes over he/she will drag butt in the water, adding to the pull.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to hold clinics on righting 16's. A couple of people pulling on a shroud can capsize it in calm water. I used to be on a Windsurfer on the other side, and help with a little lifting. We'd have a number of boats out there at one time, and invariably, someone would come up on a motorboat asking if we needed help.

When I taught kids how to sail at Boy Scout summer camp in Sunfish, the first thing we did was go out, capsize the boat, and teach them how to right it. Most were deathly afraid at first, but all thought it was fun once they did it, and it took the fear out of sailing for them.

Two things that absolutely should be learned are how to right one, and how to sail backwards under control to get out of irons.

For sailing backwards, I would set a buoy, go in irons directly upwind of the buoy, and then go backwards to either side, sail upwind enough to get back in position, and do it the other way. I usually just push the boom with my butt, and steer. I would coach off the Windsurfer.

Once you have the mastery of these two things, it makes it a lot easier to learn the other fine points of sailing a cat.