Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Waiting to hear about the condition of a 16 for sale near me. It has yellow hulls no trailer but I have the 14 turbo's trailer. It has the rainbow stripes that curve down at the back if that helps date it at all.

I hope it works out as I am going to visit my Mom for labor day and it would be on the way.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A1cnc wrote:
It has the rainbow stripes that curve down at the back
A1cnc wrote:
no trailer but I have the 14 turbo's trailer.
That may a bit precarious, as the 14 is narrower than a 16.
If you have inboard side rollers (and don't move outwards to transport a 16) you stand the chance of hull sliding off to either side and potentially the roller axle will poke a hole in the hull.
If you have outboard side rollers and depending on how they are attached to the crossbar, you may be able to move each outboard about 1-1/2 to 2"

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the reply.
I have outboard guide rollers on my trailer. I am pretty sure there is some adjustment to the trailer. I believe they made one trailer that would cover both but I will have to look under the roller mounts.

I can only hope it's a redline. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Happiness!
I bought the 16 today. It's an '82 with yellow hulls,81 nationals sails in GREAT shape. No soft spots anywhere. It has lychen growing on the rubber on the side of the frame but the stripes are even in good shape. It should clean up great. $225.00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations!!! Now you have a small Hobie fleet!!! Post up some pics, would love to see another yellow 16!!!!
Redlines were produced from 84-86 from what I understand by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I won't be picking up the hulls and mast until probably next weekend but I have the sails, rudders and boom already. I know I have a few hours of scrubbing ahead of me. I will definitely post pix once i get it home.

Yep my ocd kicking in, starting a Hobie fleet. I have 3 jetski's now 2 Hobie's and a 13' Jetboat.

The Yellow hulls are what I really wanted so I am glad it worked out. There were a couple others in the area but they were all white hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I brought the boat home today. I didn't notice when I looked at it but the mast has a dent and is bent near the top above the tang. The mast was mostly buried in leaves when I looked at it but hey what do I want for $225?

There is no rope for the main halyard and the bead on the cable that is supposed to lock into the fingers seems like it is in the wrong spot, actually there are 2 beads about 1 foot apart. One is so high it jams the shackle in the pulley and the second is 1' below that.

I don't think I got a downhaul with it either.

I managed to mostly straighten the mast step link and I think tomorrow I MIGHT be able to step the mast. I looked on Murray's and they show 3 different step links. One of them has a bar welded in and actually looks like it might be an improvement.
https://www.murrays.com/product/50-21380001/

Has anyone used this one?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The two slugs on the halyard should be for the two positions of the sail. One holds the sail all the way up and the other allows the sail to be reefed. Boats with the comptip mast don't have provision for reefing. I would think the two slugs are more than 1' apart. I don't know what the problem is with pulley.

I bought the $27 mast link because it automatically toggles the mast into position when you raise it. I was very satisfied with it. It must be completely removed for sailing because it interferes with the mast rotation. The other hinge link looks like a conventional link.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My mast step link stays attached to the mast step, but of course once everything is secured, the pin is removed from the mast to allow for rotation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will have to take another look at the main halyard tomorrow. I washed the boat and tramp, and looked everything over but by the time I got to try stepping the mast the flying hypodermics were out in force and I might have been distracted by them!

I am pretty sure I need to get some line for the jib and downhaul but all in all I am happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The standard mast hinge link is left on the base but the $27 mast hinge link from Murray is a non-standard design that solves the problem of toggling the mast into place while raising it. I never needed that help until I got older and didn't have the strength to bounce the mast as I raised it. Since I always raised the mast alone, I didn't have anyone to push the mast into place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, not sure of what you are talking about because my mast just goes right into the base without having to jostle it around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have the standard link and the mast goes right in, no josling needed. I leave mine attached to the mast base with bolt that was provided with it. I use a small Phillips head screwdriver to attach the link to the mast for stepping. That is much easier to get in than the pin that comes with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My link was pretty bent when I got the boat and the 1st time I tried stepping the mast bottom (the ball I think) hit the base pocket before the mast was fully raised. I thought it was because I put the pin in the 14 side. I then tried the 16 side and it did the same thing but I was able to get the ball in the socket by jostling the mast then it went in.

I took the link off and straightened it as much as I could. Mine is a Hobie link with the spring but no spacer. I may make a spacer for it as I think that might make it a bit stronger and keep it aligned better. I find the mast base can twist easily but it could be my beat up link. The pin on the boat side is only 3/16 and the holes in the link are egg shaped so I may drill the holes in the link to 1/4" but I need to see if a 1/4" pin fits in the casting first.

I parked the 16 next to my 14 yesterday. The 16 is on the trailer and the 14 is on the ground but OH MY GOD is the 16 bigger!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A1cnc -- I notice you live in New Hampshire, as do I. I've got a spare mast you can borrow if yours is too damaged to use reliably. I also know that Craig's list has a project boat fairly cheap for sale. Sometimes you need two 16s to make one.

If you need help, let me know and we can see whether we can make our schedules work.

Fleet 448 in Rhode Island is our nearest Hobie fleet. There's only one more event scheduled, which is scheduled for 9/22. It's not a good event for you to bring your boat to, but we're usually able to get everybody out on the water who wants to go. Many of us have boats but don't have crew. Weather in Narragansett Bay yesterday was long pants and shirt, either wet or dry suit.

Feel free to send me a PM.

Jim Clark-Dawe