Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Hobie Cat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there any value in a vintage Hobie Cat (serial # 3121)?

Post subject: Re: Vintage Hobie Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sail and hull condition, and subordinate to that provenance if it has any, are the most dependent factors of value. There isn’t an analogous classic car market value

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your reply. Everything on this cat is in excellent condition, which is remarkable given its age. We bought it from the original owner's relative and thought we would learn to sail. However, I don't think that will happen. I was hoping that there would be an appreciation for these early cats as it is quite a "survivor."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My cat is a vintage 1984 model and in excellent condition also. I like the older cats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lstrz wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Everything on this cat is in excellent condition, which is remarkable given its age. We bought it from the original owner's relative and thought we would learn to sail. However, I don't think that will happen. I was hoping that there would be an appreciation for these early cats as it is quite a "survivor."

The best way to honor its age is to post a picture of it so we can see an example of this age, then post it in the Hobie forum classifieds so it can have the crap sailed out of it :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have attached a photo but it does not include the sail, which looks brand new with the serial number of 3121 on it. The relative of the owner said he believed the pontoons were originally yellow but have faded. I was told that everything is original but the historical fellow at Hobie said that it could have been manufactured in fall of 1969 but they did not keep records at that time. He also said that they did not match sails with the serial numbers so I don't really know if the sail is original or not. We are both senior citizens who have never sailed and after appreciating the complexity involved we now know we never will. We thought we could forget the sailing part and mount a trolling motor on it instead but didn't want to do that if it would be consider a horrific thing to do. We paid $400 for the cat and the trailer but don't know if we overpaid or not. We do appreciate all your kind replies. Thank you.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah8 ... 1535973638

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lstrz wrote:
I have attached a photo but it does not include the sail, which looks brand new with the serial number of 3121 on it. The relative of the owner said he believed the pontoons were originally yellow but have faded. I was told that everything is original but the historical fellow at Hobie said that it could have been manufactured in fall of 1969 but they did not keep records at that time. He also said that they did not match sails with the serial numbers so I don't really know if the sail is original or not. We are both senior citizens who have never sailed and after appreciating the complexity involved we now know we never will. We thought we could forget the sailing part and mount a trolling motor on it instead but didn't want to do that if it would be consider a horrific thing to do. We paid $400 for the cat and the trailer but don't know if we overpaid or not. We do appreciate all your kind replies. Thank you.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah8 ... 1535973638

Take a look at this thread....
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40841&start=0

As long as you can still get around pretty good, there are plenty of people still sailing into their 60's & 70's. Quite honestly, a few hours of reading or watching some tutorials will be enough to where you can get out there, sail around and make it back no problem. The more advanced setup, sail position and trim can come later if it turns into something you enjoy. I wouldn't go out if it's super windy, but it is an easy boat to handle just cruising around in light to slightly moderate wind. When I first took my father's boat out as a kid, he said "If the sail is flapping, you're not pointed in the right direction". Once you are out there it is pretty easy to get the hang of. I sailed for many many years not really knowing how to properly adjust anything and never had a problem. The boat will go with very little effort.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What do you consider a senior citizen? I gave up my Hobie 16 to my daughter about 2 years ago though I may still go out with them. I bought the boat new in '85 at age 51 and sailed it for about 30 years. I am now 84. If you like the water and feel OK physically, you should be able to sail. Someone once told me that you can learn all you need to know about sailing in 20 minutes and the rest of the time you spend trying to go faster.

About 9 years ago I had quintuple heart bypass surgery. The operation was in March. In June, 3 months later, I was back sailing solo, including raising and lowering the mast.

If you can find someone with a Hobie locally and get them to take you out, you would get a good Idea of how you would like it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 65 and sailing the crap out of my Getaway! No idea of how senior you are, but the hardest part of sailing a Hobie is stepping the mast, and fortunately they make gadgets to help with that.

If the boat is complete, $400 for boat and trailer is a good deal. You should have no problem reselling it for at least that, probably a bit more. I wouldn't mount a trolling motor on it, that just gives you an unsatisfactory motorboat. Trade it for a small motorboat.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 60, and just bought my 1st hobie.
It's an 84 model, and a blast to sail!

'84 H16 #80116 Tequila Sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, so that is a vintage H14. I had one when I was a teenager way back in the late 70's and early 80's and had a blast with that boat. Fast forward many, many years later and at the age of 50 got a H16. I will be 53 years old on September 15th and will sail my H16 until it or I fall apart. Lol. Good deal on the boat at 400 bucks. Have the hulls been painted? The early Hobie Cats had white tops/decks that contrasted with the hull colors. My H14 had yellow hulls with white tops/decks, white sail and white tramp, I don't remember the sail number and have no idea of what model year it was, but it had the old style traveler system on it, so pretty sure mine was a very early model as well. I hope you try your boat out before thinking you are too old to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
...you can learn all you need to know about sailing in 20 minutes...
Sailing a small boat on a small lake, maybe... sailing as a whole, absolutely not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are so many used Hobies out and about that few used boats bring much money. It took me a year to sell a like-new H16 for just $1200. Everybody said they could pick one up for half that, and they could, albeit not anywhere close to the condition my boat was in.

So if your boat is really nice you might price it higher in order to attract buyers who are more serious about getting a really solid boat instead of just something to knock around in. But keep in mind that you are up against scads of available used H16's.