Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stepping mast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, everyone i have a question i'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I went to step the mast on my Hobie 16 for the first time. ( I had the transom close to my camp trailer and the mast on a towel on the roof so the mast was most of the way up to begin with.) As i began to raise it i noticed the " hook " on the mast base was about to come unhooked. A little more and it popped out. It took everything i had to keep it from hitting my girlfriend, (holding the forestay) and letting it back onto the trailer roof easy. I noticed the hook was broken. I bought a new mast base but it doesn't have a hook it has a hole. Like for a bolt or pin. My mast step has a hollow stainless steel pin peened on both sides and not removable. My question is, should i remove the permanent stainless pin so i can use a removable one. Have pictures of both bases and the step.

I sure would appreciate the help.

Best regards, John

P.S. how do i add pictures ? I click in Img. or URL and just those letters show up.

Post subject: Re: Stepping mast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As you've figured out, raising and lowering the mast is dangerous.

There's a Hobie dealer down by Sebago Lake in Maine. Most dealers will be happy to explain how the mast hooks together. Basically there ae three parts involved -- the mast base (https://www.murrays.com/product/50-20640011/), the mast step (https://www.murrays.com/product/50-20200011/) and the mast hinge (https://www.murrays.com/product/01-3021/)

One end of the hinge is permanently attached to the step. The other end of the hinge goes through the mast base. There's a pin you can use, but I usually use a Phillips head screwdriver. Harder for me to lose and has a handle to grab it. The pin can definitely pop out.

Matt Miller of Hobie did a video of setting up a Hobie. Part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VeBZOCJCoY) has putting up the mast. It shows hooking up the pins and placing the mast bearing in the cup.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds like you have the older hook style mast base. I think you will have to remove the pin from your mast step and use the parts that Jim linked to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought I remembered a thread on this recently -- https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60607

One of the posts connects to how to make the old style into a more modern version.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is the age of your boat? If you can install a mast step link kit, it will help to keep the mast in place when stepping the mast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1976 flamer with the original Trailex trailer, color matching toy box and original sails. I figured that the mast base has been changed and improved over the years, to make things better just like the one piece gudgeons i recently installed. I'll remove the stainless pin and use a screw driver like you suggested i can just toss it in the toy box when i'm done.

Thank you for the help everyone !
I'll check the videos for more education too.

Best regards, John

P.S. i still can't ad pictures when i click on Img. it just shows this. [img][img]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As others have said, ditch the hook system and get a proper mast step link. There is a reason why Hobie went away from the hook a long, long time ago. The Hobie 16 support page on this site has instructions for cutting off the hook from the mast base and retrofitting it to accept a mast step link.

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21380001.pdf?_ga=2.264489608.662106379.1535976345-2029119106.1505777923

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll remove the stainless pin and use a screw driver like you suggested i can just toss it in the toy box when i'm done.

Don't pin the mast directly to the step, use the hinge link.

'84 H16 #80116 Tequila Sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I leave the step link in place with a ball pin through it while I'm sailing. At the mast rake I run, it never blocks the mast rotation and the parts I need are always there.

I have done the screwdriver thing also, but for me it's better to store everything in place.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages