Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I am looking for my first Hobie Cat. I am an experienced with the Hobie Adventure Island and want to move up to a 16'.

I am looking at buying a Hobie 16 that has "Stars and Stripes" on it's sides. The hulls are light blue in the bottom and white on top.

I read the post below on what to look for when buying (which was incredibly helpful) and this boat is in good to very good shape.

Does anyone know from my description what year this boat would be?

Also, what would a fair price be for it in good to very good condition?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Stars & Stripes boats were a limited edition graphic/color scheme stemming from the 1988 America's Cup race which featured the first use of a catamaran in the cup's history (easily won by Dennis Connor and the US team racing against the much larger Kiwi monohull). So a "stars & stripes" Hobie would have been from the 1988/1989 vintage.

I would inspect the boat thoroughly for all damage/defects/wear that would be typical on a 30 year old Hobie (hull delamination, corrosion, worn out sails, missing parts). A boat of that age would typically go for around $1-2k depending on condition, what accessories are included, etc. Maybe a little more if it is in excellent condition as you describe (barn stored for 20 years or something like that).

sm