Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello I was wandering if anyone would have an idea on how to fix my mast step to the trampoline it’s not flush, it is my first time owning a hobie but my father had one, but he sold his when I was was 8 but know that I’m 17 I wanted to get back to my roots and buy a hobie and learn to sail, the problem is that the mast step dosnt fit flush like on the other hobies I’ve seen, what should I do to fix this , when I got the boat it was a quarter of an inch off the trampoline with the rivets barley holding on , i clamped it down to put new rivets in but it’s still not flush. Please help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pictures would help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My guess, without seeing it, would be that the holes in the crossbar have corroded or worn out and opened up and the rivets aren’t able to “grab” properly. The easiest solution in this case would be to drill out the holes to 1/4” diameter and install larger, 1/4” rivets.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 am 
Site Admin

This might help:

mmiller wrote:
Hobie 16 mast step replacement.

This was written up in the Hotline:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/h16-step-replace.pdf

Not that hard to do usually, but corrosion around the post, through the crossbar, can make it tougher.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hotline article is the best instruction for this. The key for me was to loosen the nuts on the dolphin striker cross bar - make sure to count how many turns on each nut so you can tighten them back the right amount when done (assuming it was right to start with), then gently jack the dolphin striker down until the mast step is seated flush on the cross bar. I didn't use any clamps, I just riveted it like that.

If the rivet holes have torn and rivets won't hold, then it's a bigger project. I had to buy a new mast step and drill holes in it and align those with new holes in the cross bar. I also had to pound the cross bar flat again under the step. The mast step screws onto the vertical post of the dolphin striker. That's what holds it to the cross bar when you jack down the cross bar of the dolphin striker. I used a crank car jack that I secured under the tramp cross bar and on top of the dolphin striker cross bar. I would spread them apart little by little, making sure the ds cross was loose enough that it was not pulling the side posts in. It was not really that hard a project, but it took a while because I took it slow. It's held for about 10 years now.