Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for guidance on supplies for repairing soft spots. I have read up on procedures to execute the repair. I am just struggling with pulling the trigger on the type of epoxy, fillers, sandpaper grit, associated tools and if anyone has a specific brand or website they recommend. Also has anyone experimented with micro balloons? My hulls have quite a few soft spots. I am looking for the lightest weight filler for these repairs.

As for the Gel coat. Is it better to spray? Am I able to roll or brush on?

Please tell me your experiences. I'd love to get it right the first time. Images are encouraged!

Thank you!
--------------------
Fiddy
76' "DP"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never dealt with soft hulls on a hobie 16 before, but I have done fiberglass work on other boats. Microballons are for non structural applications such as fairing. For structural you can use cabosil (fumed silica) as your thickener.. Gel coat is made from polyester resin just like the boat is. Epoxy will bond to polyester resin but polyester resin doesn’t bond well to epoxy. So if you are going to use gel coat I would use polyester resin. If you go with epoxy you will need to paint it to protect it from UV. So if you don’t want to paint the hulls I would use polyester resin and gel coat. US Composites is a good site to get polyester resin, fiberglass, and fillers from if you can’t get it locally. Also, when you use cabosil you should wear at least a dust mask, it is basically very fine silica. You don’t want to breathe that in. You should also wear a respirator when using polyester resin. I used one from HF that was rated for organic vapors. It was only like 15 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

People have done epoxy injections to the hulls to help with soft spots. You could search the forum for epoxy injection too. Also, where are the soft spots? If they are in forward of the front pylons it may be better to find some good used hulls instead. That area has a lot of stress on it. Post some pictures of the soft spots and some others that know more about it can comment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Git Rot epoxy.

No other special tools required. Any putty to fill the drill holes. You can dab on gel coat and sand. If you want to spray you can thin with acetone and use a preval sprayer. You need to coat with a vapor barrier to get the getcoat to cure, so you need something like vinyl acetate.

mmiller wrote:
Hulls - Soft or Delaminated hulls on older boats

Soft hulls are caused by the foam and fiberglass layers becoming seperated or delaminated. This can be caused by heat, repeated compression (walking on) or other factors related to materials and age. This is normally correctable. A soft area is a structural breakdown and should be corrected before sailing the boat. Soft areas in decks near or ahead of the forward cross bar can cause complete failure of the bow and must be repaired before sailing the boat.

If your Hobie has soft or "delaminated" hulls or deck areas, take a look at the following link:

I did a search on Google to find information on the material that is excellent for this kind of repair "Git Rot" Flexible penetrating epoxy:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Git+Rot

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did this to two hulls that someone gave me this past summer (2018). It was a major pain in the arse! It is really tough to do. I used cheapo condiment squeeze bottles from Dollar General that were about a buck a piece to squeeze the epoxy in all the holes). I bet I went through 20 of them for both hulls and over a gallon of resin. I had dozens of holes because the soft spots were so bad and large. (But, the hulls I replaced were completely busted through because some chump "fixed" the delam with who knows what. One sail and the hulls broke apart. Also, removing the hulls from the pylons is beyond a nightmare and then the holes don't line up with the replaced hulls. It has been a cluster! Sailing is for the rich! Spend $11,000 and get a new boat and keep it nice and store it properly. I'm completely convinced that every Hobie from the the 70s, 80s and probably the 90s is completely worn out. (I believe replacement hulls are $3,000 plus each.) The poor get to fix garbage instead of actually sailing the dang boats!