Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

besure and insure your boat with the soft hulls a sailing friend of ours had a H16 we gave him. ( boat was a mess with both hulls soft ) he entered two regattas and the port hull folded up on him. they towed the boat to shore, called his insurance agent and got a check for $1800 and bought a much better boat total costs boat free $0.00 insurance for 1 year $75.00 total return $1725.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. I didn't know that boats of this age could be insured like that. I wouldn't think the cost of my boat would be nearly that much but who knows. I may have to look into that. If I sold my boat off for parts I doubt I could get nearly that much. By the way, I'm still looking for hulls if anyone knows of any around the NC area for a reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able to insure it at replacement value as well. I think my insurance is $380 a year w/ $500 deductible. I have a wretched driving record, that's why it is so high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

where might someone start if they were interested in insuring their boat? are they the same companies that insure automobiles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cyrano138 wrote:
where might someone start if they were interested in insuring their boat? are they the same companies that insure automobiles?

Insure your boats!!! At the very least liability!!!

Start with your auto or home agent. More than likely they handle a Marine company. Several companies deal in both auto and boats, but not old boats.

Be careful here, the max payout on my '84 is $1,600, insurance is based on book value. Tom has a great story with a happy ending, but I think that case is border line fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Be careful here, the max payout on my '84 is $1,600, insurance is based on book value. Tom has a great story with a happy ending, but I think that case is border line fraud.

I don't know John. T Page's insurance might be on the up-and-up depending on the year of the boat. However, I am a little jealous of his premium. I have a "85" with a $1,700 max payout but my annual premium is $126. I got mine through "Boat U.S." Say T Page, what year is your boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DavidBell47 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know John. T Page's insurance might be on the up-and-up depending on the year of the boat. However, I am a little jealous of his premium. I have a "85" with a $1,700 max payout but my annual premium is $126. I got mine through "Boat U.S." Say T Page, what year is your boat?

It's not Toms' boat, they gave it to someone.

Premium on my '84 is $105, they're all about the same price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got mine through Progressive, same as my pickup. To give you an idea how bad my driving record was. It's getting better. Through progressive if you have a hit and run, or a DWI, or driving after withdrawl each offense is worth 4 points. I had 22 at one point. I was one point from having to buy my insurance through the state. I won't tell you how or why but I was paying $280 a month for state minimums. Not even glass coverage on a old S-10 pickup. That's why my insurance is so spendy, and its not even half as bad as it was a couple of years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
I've got mine through Progressive, same as my pickup. To give you an idea how bad my driving record was. It's getting better. Through progressive if you have a hit and run, or a DWI, or driving after withdrawl each offense is worth 4 points. I had 22 at one point. I was one point from having to buy my insurance through the state. I won't tell you how or why but I was paying $280 a month for state minimums. Not even glass coverage on a old S-10 pickup. That's why my insurance is so spendy, and its not even half as bad as it was a couple of years ago.

Judging by your animated gif at the bottom of your posts, could road rage have anything to do with the high cost of insurance?

Sam

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have any of you looked into your home insurance coverage. I have State Farm and they have some coverage for loss and accident with the home owners. I have never had a claim yet, but our agent asked specifically for pictures of my H16 so that it could be covered. I let him know that I had sold my Ericson 23 and he wanted to know if I had another boat. I'm pretty sure that I don't pay anything extra for the coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:10 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have my insurance with us sailing, I have a 2004 H16, replacement valued at $8,700, it runs about $210 a year. I have never had a claim and also get a us sailing member discount.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: homeowner's insurance
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check your coverage very carefully if you go with homeowner's insurance. They often don't cover the boat when you're actually sailing it and even rarely cover you if you are racing. In fact, most insurers won't cover you when you're racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Insurance is good. I've been insuring my boats for over 20 years, mostly for liability and medical, but comprehensive was only a few bucks more. In those 20 years plus I had not made a claim, that is until last July when a wind storm flipped my bare masted boat (see photo). Fortunately the damage was localized to the mast, front cross beam and some of the standing rigging. Still, it was a $2,600.00 bill, basically the sum of all my insu. pmts up to that point.