Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

So I've moved to a place where there's an amazing H16 racing fleet, probably like 3rd best in the world. Depends who you ask.

I've done a lot of racing, but not with competition this high. I've noticed a lot of things that these guys do different than I do in setup/tear down of their boats. However, some of it is over the top I think, and I'm wondering... does it really make THAT much of a difference?

1) Stretchy sails. Loosening the battens after every sail, and tightening them up again for each race. I can understand their arguments on sail shape and what not for racing. I know this makes a difference so I've started to do it too. However, I was wondering if anybody knows about how much of a speed difference this actually makes?
2) Tightening/Loosening literally every shackle with a shackle key. This includes the Main and Jib heads, Jib Clew, Main sheet at the boom, etc. I've done these things hand tight and never had a problem in any sailing condition for years. I understand it's not fun if it somehow, someway, comes loose, but really... do I have to do this on EVERYTHING?!?! It's so annoying to take the shackle key out, tighten/loosen it, then have my crew ask for it 2 secs later and we end up handing the shackle key back and fourth 5 times when we get to a new shackle.
3) They are refusing to let me use a quick-pin to hold the jib tack, and instead are using the bloody ring dings! Nothing even brushes past this area would press the button. Why can't I use the quick pin?
4) I know that EPO 3s get UV damaged, especially long term in the sun. However, when setting up the boat I took the rudder covers off near the beginning instead of the end of the process, and one guy said "you'll want to leave those covers on while setting up". Does 15 minutes of sun on the EPO 3s once a week while setting up make THAT much of a difference? I'm sure for how durable the rest of the boat is, that the rudder can take 15 mins of sun?

Otherwise, I totally understand the adjustments they make (mast rake, rig tension, shroud holes, trapeze heights etc.). As for the stretchy sails, I'll just get a pair of racing sails, and a pair of recreational sails. No biggie.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quick pins can and do fail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Prep time doesn't matter to a racer -- time in the race does. At an average speed of 5 knots, in one hour you'll cover 30,375 feet. If you can make your boat one tenth of a percent faster (.001) than anyone else, you'll cover 30.375 feet more than your competitors. Or you'll win by two boat lengths. Any gear that breaks in a race and you're DNF.

Conversely, if you don't do something, and you're one-tenth of a second slower than the winning boat, you lose by 30 feet.

Every adjustment they make is in the belief that it will make their boat go faster or be more reliable.

And there's also a ritual aspect for some competitors. Each race, each time, is done the same way. Exactly. If the competitor hopped on one foot one day while taking off the rudders covers, he'll do that every day thereafter (a bit extreme to make the point, but it does happen to some people).

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited by jclarkdawe on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I loosen the battens and the out haul to preserve the sail. I use a key to tighten the shackle on the jib clew, but not the jib or main heads. I believe there is so much force on the heads that a key is not required. On the jib clew, lots of bouncing around with no force.

Not sure what to say about the jib tack quick pin prohibition. Is that a class rule?

Regarding the rudder covers, you should certainly keep those covered until the end to maintain form and protocol. Of course, if you don't have the right race attire, then keeping the covers on will not help much. :lol: