Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a 88' 16 beginning of this year and have had a blast on it so far. On the fourth I had some friends take it out and break a rudder off so I figure now is the time to fix her up right. A few questions and clarifications from previous threads I've read.

What is the best method to remove stuck delrin screws? Fire? Drill it out with a long bit?

My comp tip has definitely spent plenty of time baking in the sun and lots of fibers are showing(pics attached) is it acceptable to paint it to protect further wear? If so, what paint should I use? (you'll see a picture of the luff track that I am going to replace for your viewing pleasure too)

All of my cam cleats aren't springy anymore. I've seen rebuild kits but they say they are for 93 and newer. I'm pretty sure mine are original so do you know a place that I can get the caps and base that will fit my cleats?

Thanks for all your help!

https://imgur.com/gallery/PTYY68g?fbclid=IwAR2jpg9G6FWnt63NhacbY587ZtHRTd_Zp6msdsUnEnhUw4LoFWCROT8-hTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Delrin screw:
I've never succeeded with the hot screwdriver method, and the melting method was just too nasty and messy, so I recommend the drilling/picking/thread chasing method.

Comp tip:
After sanding smooth and cleaning, a coat of black epoxy appliance paint if damage is minimal. Otherwise a thin coat of epoxy w/powdered graphite filler and a topcoat of said paint. Be sure not to get any material where it will interfere with luff track removal/replacement

Harken 150:
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 50#p297645

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always melted them out with a propane torch, but it absolutely has to be done outside, on a day with some breeze because the fumes are TOXIC.

I made a tap with a bolt by filing some cutting edges into the threads on the bolt. That bolt did Many.