Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The GSC is now in full swing, and in training mode for the Worlds in November, with Bruce and Bill.

The training is challenging, mainly because the eyes....yes, it is an 'age' thing.
For our first sail last Sunday, a gorgeous day, I struggled with small ring dings when we rigged.
Jib tack, jib clew, main down haul, tiller extension, main blocks...
I wuz wondering if anyone uses Quick Pins or snap shackles anywhere, like I did on my old H18SX.

Speed and ease of rigging is my goal here, and yes, I know lots of those goodies are not Class Legal.
Training is not governed by Class rules, but by how little time I have to sail.

BTW the H16 is a sports car compared to the Oldsmobile feel of the old H18SX. We love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear you (even if I can't see you any more). I was wondering last weekend, as I sailed past a big-boat race, how they see those marks on the water a mile away. I'd definitely lose.

I use quick pins on the tiller extension, main blocks (bottom, not top), jib (both ends of the foot), and downhaul. Anything at the top of the mast still gets a screw shackle and I still use ringdings on the shrouds and forestay. I tape them up too in case I don't see that they are not totally ringed (and to keep mischievous hands off when the boat is parked). For the jib and downhaul I like to buy the pins that come with shackles attached by swaged wire so I lose fewer of them. I don't lose them on the water. I lose them in the sand and when moving from point A to point B.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instead of using "pins that come with shackles attached by swaged wire", you could consider captive pin shackles so you won't lose the pins.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL