Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put reefing points in my boomless Getaway sail (well, actually, North Sails did). I love it! It lets me solo when I should be on the beach.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Not an option on a factory-made sail. We have not had reefing points since the CompTip came around in 1985.

The ripping sails may have been from the 3 grommets that are simply there to tie up the loose sail... not designed to take any load at all. All the sailing load should have been on the tack and Clew grommets that are stronger and better reinforced. The three in the middle should be somewhat loose.

Interesting. My original sail from early in the 1980s has reef points, but the 3 grommets in the middle are the same as the tack and clew grommets. I also have a sail from the European championships with reef points, but on that sail, the 3 middle grommets are noticeably different and clearly less strong than the tack and clew grommets.

I've tried reefing twice with no success. I think by the time I decided to reef, I actually needed to do other approaches to keep the boat upright instead of thinking the reefed sail made a difference. On a Hobie 16, I don't think I'd invest any money in getting a sail with reefing points.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting point Jim, I'll add that nobody here has ever seen a reefed 16 below 30kn
Everybody says reef points are almost useless on a 16, even if if it is undoubtely more manageable reefed over 25 kn.

But the question is how many times you see such winds where you sail?

Where I sail an over 20kn wind means 1.5 to 2 meters breaking waves on the shore and, at least for me not more in my 20ies, is a complete no go to get out sailing.

I think I'll go for a no reefing points sail so I won't have the temptation to go out in risky seas just because I may reef the sail.
If it happens that I'll change shore and harder winds will be expected often, I'll look for an Easy set, even if I have tested it and there's no way to use the traveller because the sheet works badly and you have to push the traveller with the feet.

If it happens that wind increases too much after you went ashore, that means that you haven't planned well the sailing and you'll get back in safe mode with the mainsail sheet eased instead of well hauled... reefing the 16 while in navigation is a nightmere.