Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to name it. I need to learn more. I need a new righting line after mine snapped while trying to right it. I also need to get a righting bucket after I found out the hard way that all 185 lbs of me isn't enough to do it.

I'm so happy to actually have a sail boat now! I have a few questions about Hobie stuff though. Like what the heck is a comp tip and is it worth getting one? What are some problems I need to look out for? Is it worth it to get sails repaired or should I just get new sails? Should I leave the battens in the jib or take them out? They sure seem to slap against the mast a lot when talking and jibing. Should I attach a mast float? Why are small boat sails so flamboyantly colored?

Sailing! Yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MilesSawyer,

Welcome! Great story, so far. We know you're a "keeper" since you dumped it and aren't trying to sell it :D

Quote:
I need to learn more.
Don't we all...read up, ask questions and go sailing again
Quote:
what the heck is a comp tip and is it worth getting one?
Comp-tip is the non-(electrical)conductive tip for the mast. Earlier boats have all aluminum masts. They are not necessary, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL OF OVERHEAD POWER LINES!!!
Always check for overhead lines when setting up, launching, sailing, storing or beaching your boat!!!
Quote:
What are some problems I need to look out for?
Check the rigging for any frays in the stranded wires, check for any lines (cloth) that are frayed, check that the trampoline will support your weight when you take a friend(s),
check that the rudder lock down mechanism is working properly. Any of these that fail on the water will result in a bit of angst, to say the least, and hopefully no one gets hurt.
Quote:
Is it worth it to get sails repaired or should I just get new sails?
Generally, sail repair/restoration is not worth the cost, can you describe any specific damage from an incident?
A decent used set is another alternative.
Quote:
Should I leave the battens in the jib or take them out? They sure seem to slap against the mast a lot when talking and jibing.
Leave them in. That's the way the boat was designed. Search how to move the jib across the mast in light air.
Quote:
Should I attach a mast float?
I'll let someone else respond, but I don't think they're that beneficial on the 16
Quote:
Why are small boat sails so flamboyantly colored?
For Hobie I guess it started as a culture thing, Yacht club crowd (white) versus Beach/Surf crowd (LOUD)

I have a couple of righting lines, send me an email

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome!! You are where I was 5 years ago. I am more addicted now than ever.

Comp-tip is short for Composite Tip, as Flatlander said, it just gives you a buffer against electrical shock if you stand up the mast under a power line. I don't have one, but you need one when you start racing in Hobie sanctioned events (Nationals and Worlds!). The rest of the advice already given is spot on.

As for the mast BOB, if you are a purely recreational sailer, and mostly sail alone, it might be of some help. No one racing has one. If you mast is properly sealed (which it should be and isn't hard) you rarely benefit from it. I have flipped countless times and only once did it turtle (completely upside down, mast pointing to the bottom of the lake), and it was pretty easy to get back up.

I am assuming that you bought an older boat if you are asking about the sails. Most older boats need to have the rudder mechanism rebuilt. It is easy and cheap, and now that I have done it I will say it is the #1 priority on an older boat. Once they work right, they are effortless and wonderful. When the old rubber parts get hard and worn, they will make you curse a lot. I went through and replaced all the lines with Home Depot rope. It was cheap and worked fine for a while. Once you realize the difference though, I have replaced it all with good, low stretch sailing lines, and its a big difference. If you take care of them they should last a good long time.

Regarding the sails, many Hobie dealers sell older used set that are in great condition. I would choose that over off brand ones. Some people I sail have the off brand ones, and they work, but are a little off. One guys is cut way too full, and the other guys seems a little weirdly proportioned in my opinion. They don't look right.

Definitely keep the battens in the jib. Go up to the top of the forum and find the rigging video. It's 40 years old, but still very helpful. When tying off the halyards (that raise the main sail), bring them out around the shrouds before securing them to the back of the mast. This keeps that line out of the way of the Jib when tacking and makes it a little smoother. Also, when tacking keep the Jib on the wrong side until your main sail fills. This helps bring the front of the boat through the wind. If you do that, you get enough wind pressure on the Jib to bring it across the mast quicker and it pops over 95% of the time.

Where are you located? It is always a blast to sail when there are more Hobies on the water so that you can race around together. It also is safer.

Welcome again!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I reccomend watching Matt Miller's Hobie set up video found on this forum and on YouTube. It is an older video from back in the day, but has a wealth of information for anyone new to the Hobie 16. Welcome aboard and happy sailing!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are you located? Sailing with an experience Hobie Cat sailor will benefit you greatly.