Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im looking at reliving my youth and purchasing my first sailboat, and am looking at catamarans specifically.

There is 1980 Hobie 16 near me that is "in great condition/well cared for" that includes a newer trampoline and has newer riggings and a newer cat fever sail that is in "very good condition". It also includes a gator trailer and has a (now removed) motor mount that is included. The seller is also claiming that the cat has one of the nicer anodized masts.

Can someone give me some pointers on what to look for on a cat of this age? Where do I start on an offer, as it seems Hobie 16s are all over the place. Seems tough to get a feel for it until I see t I person, but again, I have not sailed in whatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin
30+ years and this would be something for my kids to try out and learn to sail on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What's your budget for a boat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

charlizesen1 wrote:
....a newer cat fever sail that is in "very good condition".

That’s a good one. Cat fever sail pattern came out in the late 70’s and continued into the early 80’s. So if the boat is a 1980 model year, then likely it is the original sail and is 40 years old.

Quote:
The seller is also claiming that the cat has one of the nicer anodized masts.

Nicer than what? All Hobie 16’s (and every Hobie Cat for that matter) have anodized aluminum masts. Some were clear anodized and others black, but they are all anodized. That being said, later Hobies have a fiberglass tip on the top 8 feet (Comptip) and it could be argued that an all-aluminum mast is better than a comptip mast, but either way, all masts are anodized.

Quote:
Can someone give me some pointers on what to look for on a cat of this age? Where do I start on an offer, as it seems Hobie 16s are all over the place.

They are all over the place because price is highly dependent on condition and demand. In general, my opinion, unless the boat is immaculate, been in storage for the past 35 years, no 1980 Hobie 16 would be worth more than about $2k. Many of them are worth much less.

First thing to look at is the condition of the hulls. If there are any significant soft spots, just walk away and find something else. Not worth the hassle on a boat that old. Next look at all the other “big ticket” items like sails, mast, boom, trampoline, rudders, trailer. Are they in good condition? If not, what is it going to take to make them serviceable or replace them? Factor that cost into your budget and you’ll know pretty quick if it makes sense to buy the boat.

If the seller is asking $2k and the boat needs a new set of sails, has a broken rudder, and the tramp is on its last legs, you could easily be looking at $4-5k to be up and running - probably not such a good deal at that point.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try this video for some good tips about buying a used hobie 16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxBUF60yt4

After watching Joe's video you just might find yourself looking through a bunch, Maybe ALL of his other videos about sailing.

I have (3) 16's and a turbo14 now and I only have spent $550 on buying them. I consider myself VERY lucky because my 2 that are sailable needed just a good cleaning and new sheets. The sails are in good shape.

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp