Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I updated my H16 Jib Halyard to the latest Amsteel single-braid Dyneema and have a couple questions (I'm unfamiliar with the new high-tech lines). I'm asking because I've read Dyneema likes to slip:

(1) what's the appropriate knot to secure to the becket on the lower block? (I'm using a bowline and it seems holding Ok so far).

(2) any advice on tying off the jib halyard on the mast horn cleat? (Was out in big air and the usual "around, figure 8, and hitch" I have used for years with other lines slipped all the way until the forestay was tight).

Thanks for any advice!
-Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your experience mirrors mine and is common I believe. Totally sucks.....especially in a distance race with plenty of air.....when the halyard loosens, the jib luff bends off, and you can't sail to weather worth a darn.

I've been using a bowline on the becket as well and it has worked fine. Can't remember if I did, but you could always put a simple overhand knot in the bitter end to act as a stopper for it slipping out.

When cleating it off, I make sure to overlap the first couple of wraps with the next available ones, keeping it very tight the entire time (otherwise it can slip while you're still wrapping). After about six or seven wraps, friction takes over....a couple of figure eights and hitches and you're good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks RnH... I'm suspecting just needed more wraps around the horn. Next time I'm out I'll try that. It's damn slippery stuff.

I'll stick with the bowline but expect to have to keep an eye on it.

I've heard Dyneema is easy to splice... maybe if I have a couple down days I'll try to splice in the lower block just for the hell of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Update: I re-tied the halyard to the becket with a “water bowline”. Essentially a double-bowline. Seems ok. I did some research and the consensus is a “modified water bowline” doesn’t slip. May try that once I get some practice.

For the mast cleat, did several wraps and 8s and then tied off. Didn’t skip in moderate wind. Next big air day will be the test.