Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A local guy here is offering a late '80s Hobie 16' for $,7000 (although he also says there's room for negotiation). The seller says the boat has been kept in a garage for much of its life and comes with a trailer, beach dolly, two masts, rigging, etc. I'm new to Hobie Cats. I have sailing experience on Penguins, Lasers, and Sunfish and I own two Hobie Outback kayaks. If I go to check out this boat, what kind of things should I look for? Also, assuming the boat is in very good condition, what's a realistic price to offer? Thanks for any feedback from the experts here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This has been discussed before, so please consider a search to get all the information that's been collected over the years. Also you can get the Hobie assembly manual from Hobie product support. Read it before you buy,

Some things to consider:

- Hulls (are they sound? any dings, cracks, or other damage? any delimitation? wear on bottoms?, transom solid?, any leaks? does it have the drain plugs gelcoat in good shape?); you need to press and tap hulls to confirm solid, particularly the front decks
- Frame (cross bears solid [no cracks or dents], rivets all there?)
- Tramp in good shape? (tears,
- Rudders in good shape (not cracked or dinged, do they lock and release smoothly?, tiller arms and crossbar in good shape? does it have a tiller extension?)
- Masts in good shape? (not bent, no cracks or dents)
- Boom in good shape? (not bent, no cracks or dents)
- Mainsheet blocks in good shape? Mainsheet line Ok?
- Sails in good shape? (no un-repaired tears or holes, comes with all the main and jib battens and batten tie lines and end caps all there)
- Rigging all there? (for safety, unless recently replaced, consider spending the money for new shroud, forestay and bridle wires)
- Trapeze system there? (16s usually have double trapeze lines)
- Chainplates and twist toggles all there?
- Shackles all there?
- Jib traveler system in good working order?
- Jib blocks all there? Jib sheet Ok?

At a high level, besides making sure the boat is solid, you want to make sure it comes with all the parts. While some things are relatively low cost to replace (shackles, lines) missing/broken rudders, missing mainsheet blocks, or trashed sails are expensive to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

7k is a lot to ask. In Michigan a boat like that would sell for $1000 up to $3000 if it was super sharp and light.

If you are willing to spend 7k just go all in and get a new one for $12k. New boats come with super snazzy controls and upgrades like EPO 3 rudders, integrated jib traveler control blocks, the aussie jib halyard and more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow! $7,000. for an '89? Did it belong to Elvis or something?

If you consider that one,
I have an '85 H16 that I'll sell you for half that,...and... drive it to Michigan with the perverbial bridge! Yikes

Just my two cents...