Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks

Yesterday I took off the rudders to refurbish them, they have UV damage on the EPOv1 blades and the black castings look tatty. Getting the port casting of was a complete mission as the gudgeon pin was locked in tight. A lot of WD40 and enthusiastic use of a big hammer got it out in the end.

Is there a way of making it less of a mission? I'd like to be able to take the rudders off while stored or trailering to prevent damage but this was just too hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First sight down the pin to see if it has any bends (even stainless steel pins can bend). Next feel if there are any burrs or gouges in the pin that could be causing a high spot. If you pounded the pin out with a hammer, the top of the pin may have “mushroomed” out causing resistance when removing. Remove any high spots with a file. You can also sand the pin down to reduce its diameter slightly. When doing this in the past, I have locked the pin in the chuck of my drill press and then sanded up and down its length as it spins. Some wet and dry sand paper sprayed with WD40 works well for this.

Its also important to check the alignment of the gudgeons and the holes in the rudder casting. Slide the pin into them separately. If the pin doesn’t drop easily into the gudgeons, then you know there’s an alignment issue.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
First sight down the pin to see if it has any bends (even stainless steel pins can bend). Next feel if there are any burrs or gouges in the pin that could be causing a high spot. If you pounded the pin out with a hammer, the top of the pin may have “mushroomed” out causing resistance when removing. Remove any high spots with a file. You can also sand the pin down to reduce its diameter slightly. When doing this in the past, I have locked the pin in the chuck of my drill press and then sanded up and down its length as it spins. Some wet and dry sand paper sprayed with WD40 works well for this.

Its also important to check the alignment of the gudgeons and the holes in the rudder casting. Slide the pin into them separately. If the pin doesn’t drop easily into the gudgeons, then you know there’s an alignment issue.

sm

Thanks for the reply sm, much appreciated

There was a tiny bit of mushrooming caused by the pounding and I've filed that off

It all seems straight. I'll have a think about reducing the diameter. I'm definitely going to make up a specific tool for driving the pins out. I want to remove the assembly for storage and trailering so need to make it as simple as possible

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The other option is to leave the lower castings attached to the boat and just remove the bolt that attaches the rudder to the casting for trailering. Then the rudders can be removed and you don’t need to mess with the pins.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
The other option is to leave the lower castings attached to the boat and just remove the bolt that attaches the rudder to the casting for trailering. Then the rudders can be removed and you don’t need to mess with the pins.

sm

Very true and possibly the best solution at the moment I think.

I noticed today one of the castings seems to have something like brass bushings in the gudgeon pin holes, the sticky one doesn't.

I'm focused on getting the blades sorted at the moment, servicing the castings will probably be next but my intention is to get them water worthy first and foremost, this isn't a pretty raceboat, its something for me to crash around on while I learn to be a better sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I travel by doing what srm suggests in removing just the rudders and leaving the castings on.

Have the castings been drilled out before and possibly smaller inner diameter business used?
Just thinking...