Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an '85 and bought a Murray's Kissme jib traveler upgrade kit. I had a thought regarding the location of the jam cleat that controls jib traveler car. Its location is shown in the attached photo. I was thinking about moving that jam cleat inboard of the jib sheet cleat. My thinking is take some line off the tramp.

Thoughts?[img]file:///Users/davidgilles/Desktop/Kissme%20traveler.pdf/img]

Not sure if the image is going to post. Either pilot error or funky protocol....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Image files have to be on a public webserver. Your image is on your personal PC it appears.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh00tqyby7ab1g5/Kissme%20traveler.pdf?dl=0/img][url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh00tqyby7ab1g5/Kissme%20traveler.pdf?dl=0/url]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Just reduces the working angle a bit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That what I figured. I thought the upside would be a cleaner tramp, butI wondered if there were any other unintended consequences before I drilled.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DAG250 wrote:
That what I figured. I thought the upside would be a cleaner tramp, butI wondered if there were any other unintended consequences before I drilled.

Didn't see the pic, but I'm assuming you are talking about the set up to allow the jib traveler to be run by a line vs going up and pulling the pin. If memory serves me right we tied the loose end of the line off as a loop at the base of each shroud. If this is the one you are speaking of, we installed them and raced with them for 10+ years and never had an issue and they didn't seem to get in the way, even in some pretty hairy SF Bay and Ocean type races.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Watermanbob/Matt -

Thanks for the comments.

SF bay must be a gas.
Actually, my concern is the location of the jib traveler cleat on the front crossbar. The kit I purchased shows the cleat location at the outboard end of the crossbar. I'm thinking of locating them on either side of my jib cleats - which are in the standard Hobie fixed location. I don't see any issues, but I thought I would ask around before I kick myself.

My tramp has holes for jib traveler lines (right next to the shrouds) that allow them to be tied off on the sidebar.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and getting out of the house here in New England!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Shot of the standard setup:

Traveler control cleat well inboard. Halfway between the jib track and mast step.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt.
It's remarkable how many solutions to this issue are out there. I'm sure Hobie has gone through an evolution as well. I'm comforted that my thought process gravitated toward the manufactures current standard. I went to the owners manual and indeed there it is. I should have started there. Pages 32 & 33, the jib section, show the standard solution clearly. I did notice however that page 26 appears to show a different solution.

Again. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This post helped my with it's comment on the 'old' system of moving the traveler on the jib by going up and pulling the pin. Seems like a pain. I have no experience with jibs, but just purchased a '85 H16 from north of Boston that I am refitting for sailing this year.
Good luck with your refit Dag250!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't want to hijack your post dag250, but with my current traveler car you have to pull a pin to then pull line to move it in or out right?
Also, does the upgrade kit do away with the pin on the car so that you can move the car while out on trap like you can with the main?
Is it the cam cleat that holds it in place (or lance cleat) until released and the bungee pulls it back towards center?

Never worked a jib before, just trying to get a picture of how old vs. new work before spending cash on either upgrading or just buying nos traveler car from Murray's. Do you really need to move the jib car much while sailing? My cars wheels are all worn out and partially missing from age.

Thanks everyone for all the help. My '89 H14 (sailing only one year so far) doesn't have a jib and I have a lot to learn about this '85 H16.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Robie Hobie -

Looks like you need to replace your traveler blocks anyway. There are a couple of advantages to an upgraded traveler block control system. As become proficient with the use of a jib you will probably want to adjust it more while underway. The upgraded systems are simpler and safer for your crew to trim the jib. Sending your crew to leeward in variable wind conditions increases the odds of you both ending up in the drink.

There are a number of ways to go depending on your budget and I just happen to use Murray's - which does has a pretty good selection of different parts to tackle the jib traveler system. They have a responsive and helpful sales department. Depending on the solution you decide on, the upgrade will cost between $150 - $270. Not bad when you consider simply replacing both your jib traveler blocks is $120.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DAG250-
Thanks. Yeah, the blocks are pretty worn, hence the decision to simply replace or upgrade. I don't like the whole idea of moving to leeward while under sail to make adjustments either. It's always just myself, there's no crew to manage the jib.
I've been working with Murray's since I purchased the H14 last year and rebuilt it with their assistance. They have been great to deal with. Lots of orders as work progressed on that cat, and now with the H16. Someone's children are going through college with all the orders placed.
Videos that I watch don't show how these older systems function or how they are rigged, just the newer stuff. I haven't stepped the mast yet to connect all the new standing rigging and see what needs changing such as this jib sheeting.
Getting there, thanks for the help.