Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 mast tang
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm putting the rigging together on my '85 H16. First time with a jib and this new/old cat needing some love. Everything about this cat is apparently original to the '85 boat.
My question is whether the forestay that the jib hank clips to is a coated cable (white/black) or bare?
Is there a difference in the jib forestay cable size, and will it affect the original jib hank to fit correctly?
Also, on the mast tang there are three holes. Why three? Smaller at top, large mid and medium sized on bottom.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 16 mast tang
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

H16 forestay is uncoated. It works to support mast when jib isn’t raised. When jib is raised, the forestay goes slack as the wire in the jib luff takes the load. Hobie has a wire guide that will define the diameter, type of cable, and length (FYI, the current one (about MY2004 to present) is MUCH longer than the 85 stock because of mast rake change). If you need same length as 85 stock you might have to search to get that spec (or maybe another 85 owner can chime in)).

H16 mast tang: lowest hole is for the forestay and shrouds (and jib halyard fiddle block pigtail). Upper holes are for the trapeze wires. The shackle “bow” goes in the larger hole with the shackle pin going through the top hole with the trapeze “eyes” on either side. If you dry fit you’ll see how it works.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks dookie!
I watched a Joe Bennett video of rigging an F1 catamaran mast. In this video it shows exactly what you described. I used all the original rigging that came with the boat I'm restoring. Was super excited to raise the mast for the first time and actually see its sails. I purchased a forestay for this Hobie 16. Now I'm questioning it's overall length because of the increased mast rake you describe. I'll check out that little detail this week as it's restoration continues...
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Upon further reflection, I wouldn’t go crazy about the forestay length because it’s only used to support mast when jib isn’t up. So if it’s loose, not a big deal. If you’re going to store it mast up for the season, then maybe that’s a concern of an “overly loose” rig but there’s other ways to tighten it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the forstay necessary no matter what? The jib sail hank clips to it and halyard raises it.
Nope, not storing it messed up for the season. I live in the mountains of northern New Hampshire and take it to Race Point Beach for sailing on the outer Cape.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You definitely need a forestay. And yes, the jib hank slides up the forestay when raising and once tensioned, the forestay is slack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the information Dookie.

Measured the old forestay and the new one ordered from Murray's. Both are 17'6" and the new one is coated. The hank still clips on fine though. Maybe a newer one was purchased by previous owners and that's why they are same. All's well that ends well!

This is a pic of the first trial raising of the sails just to see what I had. Old and needing replacement, just not this year. I'd love to have a set of '85 Nationals red sails. Wild!