Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H16 Bent Dolphin Striker
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Total newbie to the Hobie forums, so sorry for any ignorance. Anyways, I've been sailing a '79 H16 for about a year now and just bought a better '80 H16 about a week ago. However, it appears that the dolphin striker post on the new boat is bent inwards about 10-20 degrees from vertical. It doesn't move at all, and it appears to be frozen in the cross beam (that's to be expected though). I know that the dolphin striker takes a lot of stress from the rigging, but I'm wondering if the post needs to be replaced before sailing again (I've taken it out once already)? Could it be bent back straight using a bit of heat? If so, would there be any problems with doing so?

I believe the previous owner attached the bottom of the downhaul to the dolphin striker rod instead of the mast cleat, which slowly caused it to bend in from the stress caused by the downhaul/sail. The previous owner rigged the downhaul so that it would reach the dolphin striker rod perfectly.

Any help would greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Without knowing more it’s impossible to tell. Are there any cracks/damage to the crossbar? Is the mast step damaged or dislodged? Is the striker rod tight or is it loose? Is the striker bar going across under the crossbar tight or loose?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Should be straight or straightened.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not apply heat. You risk damaging the surrounding area of the aluminum crossbar. Drill out the mast step rivets and pull it out that way.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dookie wrote:
Without knowing more it’s impossible to tell. Are there any cracks/damage to the crossbar? Is the mast step damaged or dislodged? Is the striker rod tight or is it loose? Is the striker bar going across under the crossbar tight or loose?

There’s no damage to the crossbar that I can see, the mast step doesn’t move and is not damaged (other than normal wear from the mast), the striker post is tight and rod are both tight. I suspect the striker post is frozen to the crossbar.

srm wrote:
I would not apply heat. You risk damaging the surrounding area of the aluminum crossbar. Drill out the mast step rivets and pull it out that way.

sm

Ah, that makes sense. I could definitely try that… how would you do it? Drill out the rivets then pull both the mast step and the striker post out? Or try to unscrew the post from the mast step?

Not entirely sure how to post phots to these forums directly, so here’s a link to a google drive folder with photos of the striker post: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... HQhuRlwSV8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 am 
Site Admin

This might help:

This was written up in the Hotline:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/h16-step-replace.pdf

Not that hard to do usually, but corrosion around the post, through the crossbar, can make it tougher.

Image posting FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you might find as I did that the post is not bent. Very hard to bend SS. My step had lost its thread and the DS was not properly tensioned (I just bought it) so the DS post had dropped out of the step and was moving about under load pivoting on the point where it enters the lower side of the front beam.
Dropped the mast, managed to reseat the DS post into the step and then add mast and retention so that there is no movement in the DS post. I may still need to replace the step.