Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been sailing a Hobie Wave for years now and recently picked up a 1980 Hobie 16. We mainly sail recreationally and I’m not too fussed about maximizing the setup for the time being. But our club does have a friendly race series that I plan on eventually joining with my 13 year old son, and so I would like the boat to be capable of being rigged for racing when the time comes.

The boat appears to be in good condition but I have a few questions about some issues I spotted:

1. One of the shrouds is looking ‘tired’ so I plan on replacing it. But I have read on this forum that the length of the shroud has changed a few times over the years and the current version is quite a bit shorter than the 1980 version. I measured the existing shrouds and they are both 19 ft from end to end. Does anyone know the length of the current version of the shroud? I was planning on picking up a 10 hole shroud adjuster to account for the shorter length of the shroud. Will the 10 hole adjuster be enough?

2. The other shroud is missing the twist toggle at the bottom of the adjuster. I would replace it, but the supplier in Canada is currently out of stock and I can’t see any other options in Canada. Before I look at international shipping, do I really need the twist toggle if I otherwise compensate for the shorter length by moving the shroud adjuster up a few holes? I would use the 10 hole adjuster on the side that is missing the twist toggle.

3. When setting the mast rake, the best that I can get with the existing setup is the 3rd hole from the bottom. This is on the shroud adjuster that has the twist toggle intact (5th hold from the bottom on the other side with no twist toggle). But at this setting, the forestay is under a good amount of strain and there is no chance that we would be able to connect the forestay the next time we raise the mast. The existing forestay is 17’ 2” end to end and already has two 10 hole adjusters on it. I guess I could add a third adjuster, but I was wondering if I could use the old ‘tired’ shroud as a forestay? I believe that the replacement forestay is 18’ 10”, so my existing shroud would only be a few inches longer? I could replace the jib hank with a 5mm or 6mm version to account for the thicker plastic coating.

4. Lastly, the hull seems to be in good shape with no soft spots. But there are quite a few patches where the gelcoat is flaking. Each area is fairly small and no bigger than about 4 or 5 square inches. Is this something I need to address immediately, or can I wait until the end of the season in the Fall? Or is this simply a cosmetic issue and I don’t really need to worry about it if all we do is recreational sailing?

Any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome

The twist toggle is available from Murray's in CA. for 15 bucks.

The shrouds are definitely shorter.
I'm still trying to figure out my solution to this as well for a '85 H16 I'm fixing up. I have purchased all new rigging for this cat, and the forestay can't be attached without using two (2) ten hole adjusters (barely) and shrouds attached at the top (7 hole adjuster)

Not wanting to hijack your post, but if the shrouds are now cut shorter, wouldn't the forestay be cut longer to accommodate the shorter shroud length giving the mast it's increased rake?

I have found the old jib hank clips onto the new coated 1/8" rigging fine without hangups. My sails are original, (worn out) but still usable for this years casual sailing learning curve.

I would think the flaking of your gelcoat is more cosmetic in nature than structural. If it's flaking because of some fiberglass hull delamination issue, that's a different kettle of fish.

Still learning myself. Hope this helps you some.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your reply Robie.

Regarding the new forestay length, from what I can find online it looks like the replacement "Aussie" forestay is now 18' 9.75". My existing forestay is 17' 2", and so I am having the same problem as you connecting the forestay with any kind of mast rake.

I ordered a new shroud to replace the old one, but they don't have a replacement forestay in stock. That's why I was wondering if I could just swap the forestay with my old shroud since the length difference is only a few inches.

If so, good to hear that the existing jib hank should work with the plastic coating.

I'm pretty sure there is no delamination of the fibreglass based on my simplistic 'knock' test. Is there another way to check for delamination in the hull?

Thanks again for your input.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the new-to-you H16. There’s a Hobie wire guide that is easily found with a Google search and it will tell you what shroud lengths are for older (and newer) boats. It is generally advised to replace all your standing rigging (at least the wires) every so often and if you have one shroud looking rough you should seriously consider replacing the whole set of wires. Murray’s may be able to get you the lengths that came with an 80s boat or you can get the current spec from any Hobie dealer.

As Robie said, you need twist toggles for the shrouds.

When raising the mast, you put the shrouds in the top hole of the 7-hole adjuster and once the forestay is connected, you use the trap wire and a friend to hold the trap wire while you move the shroud to its desired hole (usually 3 or 4 from bottom).

Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Dookie.

A bit of an update - my local supplier now has the twist toggle in stock and so I have put in an order. At least i will now have symmetry in the toggles and adjusters on each side.

No luck on the forestay though, which is still out of stock. With the 10 hole adjusters on the shrouds, I should be able to make the existing forestay work for now.

Your point about replacing all of the standing rigging is well taken, but it looks like the other shroud is fairly new and is in good condition. There is an obvious difference between the condition of the two shrouds.

My understanding is that the forestay is less of any issue because the jib takes on the load when under sail. In any event, the forestay is in good condition as well and the only reason I would replace it is to get a longer stay and improve mast rake.