Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys
Richard from New Zealand here
I have been trolling these forums for a while now,heaps of great information for sure
I have just purchased my 1st hobie 16 ,hard to know exactly what year as the serial number has been heavily painted over,assuming reasonably early as has the non integrated traveller.

Anyway my question is this ,it has popped the mast step rivets,so the step is loose on the beam.
I have removed it to repair,now what I find strange is the profile of the step is slightly out in relation to the beam.
The rear part that faces the track is slightly short...I have enclosed a pic
On most I see online there is a very small lip underneath that sits against the rear beam?
Am I correct in this.
Are there any other profiles for the hobie 16 or am I missing something
There is some elongation of the dolphin striker hole in the beam which I can easily repair as well

I look forward to your replys guys ,
Look forward to posting more as I come across issues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 am 
Site Admin

As the step is forced down onto the beam it moves aft. Fits current beam net.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't know what your skill set is, but I modified mine by putting an aluminun strip inside the slot in the back of the beam and used 2 1/4-20 Stainless Socket head screws to hold it down. Apparently the rivets had given out sometime before I got the boat and the mast step was held down with 4 stainless sheet metal screws.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Richardaa wrote:
Hi guys
Richard from New Zealand here
I have been trolling these forums for a while now,heaps of great information for sure
I have just purchased my 1st hobie 16 ,hard to know exactly what year as the serial number has been heavily painted over,assuming reasonably early as has the non integrated traveller.

Anyway my question is this ,it has popped the mast step rivets,so the step is loose on the beam.
I have removed it to repair,now what I find strange is the profile of the step is slightly out in relation to the beam.
The rear part that faces the track is slightly short...I have enclosed a pic
On most I see online there is a very small lip underneath that sits against the rear beam?
Am I correct in this.
Are there any other profiles for the hobie 16 or am I missing something
There is some elongation of the dolphin striker hole in the beam which I can easily repair as well

I look forward to your replys guys ,
Look forward to posting more as I come across issues

Hi Richard,

I think I know the boat you're talking about. Did you buy it from down Hastings way?
I was also looking at a 16 down there with a loose mast step, and the advice I got was to just pop some bigger rivets in to secure it as the load on the points where the step itself connects to the beam isn't enough to worry about.
That's interesting that the mast step looks different. I can't see your attached pic for some reason, but I went out and had a look at mine, and it has a very small lip that goes down the be in line with the top of the trampoline track in the beam.
I wonder if yours has been modified for some reason. I can't imagine it being too much of a problem though? Some big rivets should hold it in place well enough.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To get your newer style mast step to properly align with the top of the older style front cross beam (no imbedded jib traveler tracks), you may have to do some filing/grinding: (1) on the top hole in the front cross beam (where the dolphin striker post comes thru it), (2) on the inside of the back lip of the new mast step, and (3) on the back edge (tramp track lip) of the front cross beam in order to get the new mast step to align properly with the front cross beam when clamping it in place before drilling/pulling new rivets.

When you screw the new style mast step onto the old dolphin striker post, I would recommend using some "never seize" (just in case you ever need to remove it in the future) and also don't screw the mast step too far onto the dolphin striker post.

I would not try using the old rivet holes in the front cross beam for the new mast step. Drill new holes thru the mast step and into solid aluminum on the front cross beam. Make sure you drill the new holes thru the back of the mast step/front cross beam far enough forward of the where the tramp track is located.

Matt Miller (Hobie Factory Guru) wrote a good article on this "Getting in Step" in the January/February 2005 Hobie Class News (if you can find it).

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)