Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Before I cut my jib battens, I am looking for some comments from sailors with experience with one or both of these batten options.
Please give your recommendation! I am not concerned with being class legal. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed my H-16 since 1980 & installed batten hinges on the top two battens soon after getting our boat. It was recommended to me by a more experienced sailor in our fleet. I've never regretted it. It makes tacking a lot easier in light wind. Good luck!
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The few people I knew that tried the hinges ended up with holes worn in the sail at the hinge point.

You're better off adding an Aussie jib halyard system and attaching a small cheek block on the side of the mast just above where the top batten hits. That'll hold the halyard along the side of the mast so the batten caps won't hang up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I used to use the batten hinges, but like Mike said, they tend to wear the sail at the hinge point.

After a while, the internal mechanism wears so that they don't snap back straight and have to be replaced.

The trick on the 16's jib is to trim the battens down so that only the end cap sticks out beyond the leech. Melt a "mushroom" on the end of the tie and use that instead of a knot in the tie. Thread the tie through the hole in the end cap, then through the sail grommet, back across the "cleat" in the end cap and tuck the tail into the batten pocket. Some people use tape to smooth everything out, but I've never found that necessary.

Most people use the wrong technique to clear the battens if they become stuck - they drag the sail sideways, trying to pull the battens off the halyard.

The proper technique is to kneel facing forward, grab the leech by the lowest batten and push forward and then to the side. This will work every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Super jib battens and the work great. they are cut so there is not much sticking out of the sail maybe an inch at most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive got the Super Battens and they work fine. In super light air I still pop them across but its real easy. I would recommend them!!

86 H16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im new to sailing(beginning my 3rd summer) and I was tickled to discover the hinges last summer. But-now I am at that point where the hinges are not so great anymore as they are not snapping back and hold the upper jib leech at a 90 degree angle after tacking as well as wearing thru the batten sleeves! Altho the pop riveted jib halyard wire keeper mounted on side of mast has helped, I will probably follow suit and ditch the hinges, the cut up battens and opt
for the solution these pros are recommending