Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 "comp" mast
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone tell me what a "comp" mast is? Apparently it has a "plastic" top section? I am considering buying one that is new and has been stored for many years.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 16 "comp" mast
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its just a reference to the top section of the mast, which since the 80's has been required by class racing rules to be the "composite" mast upper section.

Its use is due to several people being killed by running their boats mast up into powerlines.

If it wasn't required by the class, I wouldn't have one on my boat. It doesn't make the boat sail better or faster, just adds a level of protection for powerlines which can be near launching areas.

They are worth something though as they often get damaged and whatnot. There were two versions though. the "retrofit" for the "old" boats and then the masts built with the factory comptip. I don't know all the exact differences or dates off the top of my head..

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Although I can't give you the exact overall length, the original was ~6" shorter than the current comp-tip length.

RodM, if you have an original solid mast I would not modify
BE VERY CAREFUL where you step your mast on land or move your boat on the trailer with the mast up
(even trees are Hell on comp-tips BTW...don't ask me how I know)

If the top sheave is in need of replacing, the comp-tip mast head (P/N 20614001) may be fitted to a solid mast

Or...I have a salvaged, original, single sheave mast head (in VGC) in my parts bin (PM me)

Cheers!
John

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the replies. I should have explained the reason for my question. I am building an ECO 6 catamaran and need a mast. The H16 mast is a good candidate but it is too long. In my research I discovered the "comp-tip" mast which I had not known about. After exploring this forum and after these replies, I now know the comp-tip will not be appropriate because of that compost section. I have since found a used all-aluminum H16 mast which I have arranged to have shipped to me. I am a happy camper.

Let me add this to all Hobie sailors. You are incredibly fortunate. This forum is a marvellous resource. I am very impressed with the sense of community sharing that is evident. Yet again confirmation of my belief that some of the very best people in the world are sailors!!